Supercharged 4k

Mitch-12

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what would be the best and cheapest supercharger for a 4k??

Mate, regardless of what EVAN-G has to say in the next useless post, I am considering the same thing. I have narrowed it down to an sc12. Can`t remember what model toyota they come from but for street use thay should be just the trick for a 4k and cheap too.

I have considered the turbo/supercharger question and have come up with the answer that a supercharger is much simpler and much more streetable as far as predictability goes.

You make your own decision which way you will go with carburettion, but I am thinking of the 32/36 weber that I already have fitted.

With the sc12 you have to run blow through coz the innards of it won`t like suck through at all.

Anyway, good luck with the conversion and keep us posted.

Old Fella.

Mate, regardless of what EVAN-G has to say in the next useless post, I am considering the same thing. I have narrowed it down to an sc12. Can`t remember what model toyota they come from but for street use thay should be just the trick for a 4k and cheap too.

I have considered the turbo/supercharger question and have come up with the answer that a supercharger is much simpler and much more streetable as far as predictability goes.

You make your own decision which way you will go with carburettion, but I am thinking of the 32/36 weber that I already have fitted.

With the sc12 you have to run blow through coz the innards of it won`t like suck through at all.

Anyway, good luck with the conversion and keep us posted.

Old Fella.

SC12 came from the 4AGZE only, in the supercharged versions of the AW11 MR2 and AE92/AE101 Levins/Truenos. The SC14, which is slightly larger, came from the 1GGZE in Crowns/Chasers etc as well as the 2TZFZE on some import Taragos (quite rare to find though)

Yeah mate there are some sc12s and sc14s on ebay here and there. The 4k is pretty small though, maybe an AMR 300 or 500 might be more suited to the smaller engine (not sure about the blow or suck though with those ones). They came out in some little nissans in the early 90s and maybe be a smaller easier option.

Its worth your while having a look for a 5k engine too if you can pick up one cheap. Same bore, head, mounts and box as the 4k, with a bit longer stroke making it a 1.5L rather than 1.3L, an sc12 might be more suited then. Both my brother and I did the 4k to 5k change in our old KE70s a few years back and the difference is noticeable. The 5k engine used to be readily available at Jap recyclers a couple of years ago, but are becoming more and more rare.

Best of luck

Its worth your while having a look for a 5k engine too if you can pick up one cheap. Same bore, head, mounts and box as the 4k, with a bit longer stroke making it a 1.5L rather than 1.3L, an sc12 might be more suited then. Both my brother and I did the 4k to 5k change in our old KE70s a few years back and the difference is noticeable. The 5k engine used to be readily available at Jap recyclers a couple of years ago, but are becoming more and more rare.

WRONG

5K has a larger bore and the crank IS a 4K crank (it is stamped on it)

The AMR's are too small they're made for 600-900cc engines, I wouldn't bother unless you're blowing a motorbike.

I've never heard this claim that SC12's can't take suck through but 14's can. My only guess is that it's a material compatibility issue.

For the 300 bucks you pay for the blower, you might as well just fiddle with it.

Thanks Seabiscuit. Sorry about the wrong info. Would still recommend the 5k upgrade, really does make a difference and is a simple and cheap change over.

Yeah the AMR 500s are small, think they came out in 1L engines. I know a couple that have been used in 120Ys for relatively good results. I was just thinking they were smaller and possibly easier to install, however, they are only good up to about 110-120kW, from what I've heard. SC-12 is probably the safe option though.

G`day again mate, There`s another thread going at the moment that has a nice draw through setup pictured. I`m no expert but I think that the sc pictured is an sc14, probably from a holden.

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=40370

I`ve never had an sc12 apart or an s14 for that matter, but my son works as an apprentice mechanic in a well rpected workshop in our town and the info about not doing suck thru with an sc12 came from his employer. It has something to do with the materials used inside the supercharger that make it only useable one way.

Just a comment on the lovely job that the fella with the picture has done. There seems to be a hell of a lot of fuel still in the piping once the weber butterflies are closed and its my opinion that it could and probably would cause delays in both accelleration and decelleration. Don`t hang me if I`m wrong, its just my observation.

Theres a sc12 on ebay at the moment if your interested.

Anyway, cheers mate. Old Fella.

G`day again mate, There`s another thread going at the moment that has a nice draw through setup pictured. I`m no expert but I think that the sc pictured is an sc14, probably from a holden.

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=40370

I`ve never had an sc12 apart or an s14 for that matter, but my son works as an apprentice mechanic in a well rpected workshop in our town and the info about not doing suck thru with an sc12 came from his employer. It has something to do with the materials used inside the supercharger that make it only useable one way.

Just a comment on the lovely job that the fella with the picture has done. There seems to be a hell of a lot of fuel still in the piping once the weber butterflies are closed and its my opinion that it could and probably would cause delays in both accelleration and decelleration. Don`t hang me if I`m wrong, its just my observation.

Theres a sc12 on ebay at the moment if your interested.

Anyway, cheers mate. Old Fellat

post-10757-1271156083_thumb.jpg

Edited by Backyard Engineering