Clicking Noise On Startup

ke71-rolla

Hey guys!!

When i'm going to start up the car it tries to turn over once, very unenthusiastically, and then when olding the ignition on produces a steady clicking noise. All ive done today is take my carby off, retighten all the bolts to ensure there is no vacuum leak, and refit it. Once refitted the car ran fine....but now not at all!!...

It's not like the clicking i heard when my Daihatsu charade starter motor went, bit slower....

Thanks for any help

Edited by ke71-rolla

Members dont see this ad

If the car started fine one minute then not so good the next (with the previous battery) you need to ask why.

Either the old battery is shagged, the terminals weren't thoroughly connected or our alt is not charging the battery.

:wink:

I listened to the radio, but only for about 30mins or so, usually doesn't drain charge from battery. Never heard that noise from that before though haha.

Both Batterys were showing 13 on the multimeter, could have been loose terminals, but i checked for that....eh could have bene just one of those things!!!

Suppose we will find out soon enough if it is the alternator not charging the battery :wink:

could be your holding winding on your starter motor solenoid, did the sound come from the starter motor. Commonly called 'machine gunning', the solenoid pulls the gear out at, when its meshed the solenoid disengages the pull in winding and engages the holding winding, if the holding winding is buggered it will just spring back and keep on doing it.

Edited by jono1986

It'll just be the solenoid. Theres nothing wrong with it, just a low battery or bad connections. As the solenoid engages the starter motor contacts the current draw increases leaving insufficient current to operate the solenoid (path of least resistance through the starter motor windings) and the solenoid clicks off. That reduces the current draw and the solenoid now has enough to engage again. Lather, rinse, repeat and you get your click click click click etc.

It'll just be the solenoid. Theres nothing wrong with it, just a low battery or bad connections. As the solenoid engages the starter motor contacts the current draw increases leaving insufficient current to operate the solenoid (path of least resistance through the starter motor windings) and the solenoid clicks off. That reduces the current draw and the solenoid now has enough to engage again. Lather, rinse, repeat and you get your click click click click etc.

Further to this I would replace ground cables and resand the connections. At the very least remove the old ones and see if the current has been arcing through the grounds.