Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

4age Ecu, Adm Vs Jdm

Featured Replies

  • Author

Yeah it starts at about 2000 goes up to about 2600 then slowly goes down to 1100 when warm. I'd like to ajust the idle because 1100 is to high imo but i don't know how :bash: Thats how my old ecu went, don't know about the new one, i'll see how it goes

Edited by Johno

  • Replies 70
  • Views 294k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • If you are talking about this one: AE86 Corolla 4AGE - (Largeport / TVIS / MAP / Yellow Plugs) Toyota Part Number: 89661-14061   That part number is definitely wrong. I checked on a certain unnam

  • You can pick them up really cheap on yahoo, and there are usually 2 pages of them. And as they don't weigh much, post is cheap.   There are always a few modified Jap tuning house ECU's there too.

Posted Images

You picked it too, I don't think it should idle that high, even at cold start up. Does the idle drop down once its warmed up? If not try pulling of the intake pipe and see if putting your fingers over the air bypasses stalls the motor. If it stalls try adjusting the TPS, you could be in the wrong part of the map from idle.

  • Author

Yeah the idle drops down to about 1,100rmp when its warmed up. I don't think the idle has anything to do with the ecu beacuse it was doing th exact same thing with the old ADM ecu :bash:

Edited by Johno

  • Author

Got the dyno test and the results are in...

 

Drum roll please :bash:

 

Power before was 65.3kw 228.8 Nm

Now with the JDM ecu.. 65.5kw 235.2 Nm

 

A MASSIVE increase of 0.2kw!! :bash:

 

Red line is the JDM ecu, blue line is the ADM

Dyno4age-1.jpg

As I said, The old ECU was most likely corrupted with fault codes too.

 

Johno I think the real test would of been with a JDM AE86 ecu too.

 

So umm anyone wanna tell me that a JDM ecu is better :bash:

I'm pretty sure only the AE86 was rated at 96kw, I've never heard of any other bigports talked about with the same rating. Did you do a run with a wideband up the tail pipe check the AFRS to see if injectors will help?

 

Check the ecu codes and see if its saying speed sensor, might be worth a shot wiring it up. Would be good to see it now with a AE86 ecu, maybe it's all a load of crap. But that said, you've got more torque in the mid range which should give you better acceleration.

The AE92 bigport was apparently also based on 100kw.

What do you mean? I just thought the only difference was that it had a 7 rib non oil squinter bottom end.

What do you mean? I just thought the only difference was that it had a 7 rib non oil squinter bottom end.

 

They supposedly have a 100kw ecu like the smallport.

  • Author

The smallport has a different ecu, a 28pin plug one, I got the bigport one.. 48 pin one Edit 42 pin

I had a small discussion about the ecu to the bloke who sold it to me and he said this is the exact same one that came out of late ae86 jdm corollas

found this too,

post-5444-1273138208_thumb.png

Edited by Johno

  • Author

Urrgghh, this is making my head hurt. :jamie:

I don't know why toyota have so many different 4ages and ecu's

What a head f*#k, I thought I had some sort of handle on the 4AGEs, like hi comp 91 model bigports WTF??? If it's def a higher rated jap ecu then you should have made more power with it. I really don't think japanese fuel in the early 90's would have been that good. I'd try wiring up your speed sensor, if that doesn't help then you've proved the JDM vs ADM ecu debate is load of crap :jamie: Aftermarket may be the only way to scratch a few more HP out of your motor.

The speed sensor pins are in the same position and Johno used the twincam dash and wiring harness so the speed signal should be working.

 

I also checked, Your ECU is certainly a JDM AE92 unit:

 

http://www.romut-radalle.com/toyecu.php

 

89661-12180 AE92 JAP

Edited by Trev

  • Author

:jamie: ok, at least we know what sort of ECU it is now, and its not matching a ae86 ecu so it's NOT a ae86 jdm ecu.

 

If this ae92 jdm is "more" powerful, It should still have given abit more overall power, I guess it has got a bit more power but Its just the same peak power. It does feel more responsive though, i guess because of the extra power and torque at 3,500rpm approx. 235Nm is pretty good considering they are 149Nm stock at the fly.

 

 

 

A few other things i have noticed, Idle when warm has increased to 1400rpm now. Smell's a bit rich, and sounds a bit lumpy for the first 2 seconds after i start it. Could this mean anything?

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.