4age Ecu, Adm Vs Jdm

Johno

Hey,

I was looks for a quick and simple power upgrade. My 16v 4age has had some minor head work, (port polish and grind), iridium plugs, 2" sports exhaust, Airpod, Turbo muffler, always run 98 oct premium fuel, 100% synthetic oil and all filters changed. Power steering and A/C pumps and belts taken off too just to get a few extra KW. I was thinking about getting bigger cams.. 272 deg and HKS cam gears but need to get an after market ECU Eg.. Haltech or something. The cost of getting one is quite a bit not to mention getting it tuned so going to hold off and maybe get a Gze from a Levin ae101 or something (all just thoughts for now) :wink:

So another thing is that i read somewhere that JDM ECU's are 96kw and ADM are 86kw. From what i read it advances the timing and few other things a bit. Can i just buy one and plug it straight in my 16v bogport or does it require rewiring some things?

Edited by Johno

Members dont see this ad
Hey,

I was looks for a quick and simple power upgrade. My 16v 4age has had some minor head work, (port polish and grind), iridium plugs, 2" sports exhaust, Airpod, Turbo muffler, always run 98 oct premium fuel, 100% synthetic oil and all filters changed. Power steering and A/C pumps and belts taken off too just to get a few extra KW. I was thinking about getting bigger cams.. 272 deg and HKS cam gears but need to get an after market ECU Eg.. Haltech or something. The cost of getting one is quite a bit not to mention getting it tuned so going to hold off and maybe get a Gze from a Levin ae101 or something (all just thoughts for now) :)

So another thing is that i read somewhere that JDM ECU's are 96kw and ADM are 86kw. From what i read it advances the timing and few other things a bit. Can i just buy one and plug it straight in my 16v bogport or does it require rewiring some things?

The 96kw ecu only works at 96kw when it is backed by the fuel it was tuned for which is not available to us here, You will need an aftermarket ecu for the mods you have listed anyway.

It seems a heck of a lot of money to be spending on a 4age to get bigger cams, ECU, tune it then still want more power. Then later changing the internals to suit a turbo or something. I might do a 4agze conversion later insted of spenting 3 grand on a 4age. :lol:

I just want a little power kick for now so would a JDM ecu plug into my wiring loom?

I have done all the cheap upgrades to the 4age already

Irudium Plugs

2" Exhaust

Turbo Muffler

High flow cat

Service

Good quality oil

Premium fuel

High flow air filter

So next... jdm ecu? would it be just plug and play?

EDIT: found one for $100, so am i wasting my money or will it work? :)

Edited by Johno

The 96kw ecu only works at 96kw when it is backed by the fuel it was tuned for which is not available to us here, You will need an aftermarket ecu for the mods you have listed anyway.

that may be true,

but swapping from the adm ecu (the one i got from you actually trev...) to my jap ecu i definately noticed a significant difference.

i dunno if its "Faster" but its got more of a bight to it, sounds crisper, certainly is better to drive.

id get one over an ADM, $100 isnt to bad, see them up around the $150 lately.

and yeah they are plug and play.

also half those things on your list there i would consider maintenance not upgrades! haha.

Edited by ke70dave

that may be true,

but swapping from the adm ecu (the one i got from you actually trev...) to my jap ecu i definately noticed a significant difference.

i dunno if its "Faster" but its got more of a bight to it, sounds crisper, certainly is better to drive.

Wicked, thanks mate :lol:

also half those things on your list there i would consider maintenance not upgrades! haha.

Yeah, Poor man's upgrades.. :)

that may be true,

Might notice some difference but it wont support an engine with 272's, well as far as I know.

Was that before or after the pump?

Might notice some difference but it wont support an engine with 272's, well as far as I know.

Was that before or after the pump?

I'd only go for the 272 cams if i got a $1,300 ECU which I'm not going to do. I'll just try and get a JDM ECU for now and not worry about internals. Internaly i think the motor is pretty stock apart from a bit of head work.. not sure what that is though, I bought the 4age from (Evil Twin) aka "Mick"

What pump are you talking about Trev?

Bigports love cams. Its pretty cheap compared to 20v camshaft swap once you have the ecu.

Sounds like you should go for a bigger motor.

If i start messing around with big cams then i will have to get Haltach ecu or a gready piggy back system or something. I'll still be hunting for more power after getting the cams what ever else i deside to do, so i might just hold off and buy a 20v or a GZE later down the track :)

I'd only go for the 272 cams if i got a $1,300 ECU which I'm not going to do. I'll just try and get a JDM ECU for now and not worry about internals. Internaly i think the motor is pretty stock apart from a bit of head work.. not sure what that is though, I bought the 4age from (Evil Twin) aka "Mick"

What pump are you talking about Trev?

Dyno the car before and after.

Fuel pump in Dave's car.

Dyno the car before and after.

Fuel pump in Dave's car.

Yeah I'm thinking about putting it on the dyno, would be interesting to see what its pulling.. :lol: Just sheered the lug nuts off the rolla tonight :lol:

Its on my rides thread.

I don't know what pump your talking about, maybe your confused with someone else or I have just completely forgotten.. :)

I don't know what pump your talking about, maybe your confused with someone else or I have just completely forgotten.. :)

Was replying to this:

haha youve confused him trev...

yeah that was back to back swapping them with the new fuel pump.

i pretty much drove for 10mins, swapped it over, drove for another 10mins with new ecu, then swapped it back again. and there was defintely a difference there. not much admitedly...

sorry just read the thing about the camshafts, 272. i was under the impressing as soon as you go past 250/260deg the ecu can't handle it at all.

so yeah not the greatest, but certainly an improvement over the standard adm ecu on a stocko 4age.

Edited by ke70dave

I've seen 300 duration cams run fairly well on a stock big port ecu. The drama is the mix is too rich at low revs and the spark blows out, with a narrower spark plug gap you can actually make the motor idle :)

Fuel pump doesn't mean much, it's the regulator on the end of the fuel rail that should dictate the pressure, you may get a tiny bit of extra fuel pressure with a bigger pump, but it's fairly negligible.

Remember you have to trick the speed sensor with the JDM ecu to open up its timing advance and the 8200rpm rev cut. You can use a 555 timer circuit or a dodgy relay wired to a flasher can for indicators, hmm does the factory speedo in an AE82 have a pulse output?

Have a look at your injectors too, a simple mod you may not have considered to open up some more top end is some pink 200cc injectors to replace the 180cc greys that most bigports run. If the install is an engine swap, make sure the memory power is wired up, or the ecu with loose all the fuel trim data it learns from the oxygen sensor ( assuming it works) at low rpm and highway cruise. You could use any injector, just has to be low impedence or you need to remove and solder a link across the internal drop down resistor in the ECU to give them enough current to open.

272's in a bigport will spank any stock 20V. If you've got a nice set of cams and a ported head I'd say get an aftermarket ecu and get it tuned by someone who knows what they're doing. When you want some more power get a GZE or 100kw bottom end end give it some love and get a turbo of your choice and boost the thing. I've seen 300hp atw on stock cams, so you can get more with your head for sure.

Modded cars cost money, think of an ECU as an investment, you can always shelve it and use it in a new project if need be.