Tiking Sound

KE70_Rolla

Ok I'm sorry for the last comment but as he said in the last post, I mistook it for he was calling it a cheap rebuild, I didn't know that the KE55's and the KE70's had repco renamed to Toyota pistons in them, I don't know much about alot of the Toyota, the supra's are about the only Toyota I know a little bit about. Next time I'll ask why it was said instead of just going off like that, it's just all the probelms the car is getting is pissing me off because it's only been in the last week I've really had a chance to drive it, everyone else has been and cause more damaged than what I have.

Once again I am really sorry for what I said, I'll try to make sure that it doesn't happen again.

Members dont see this ad

Another possibilty is the timing chain tick/click.

All Toyota K series engines have a timing chain between crankshaft & camshaft that is prone to stretch. This stretch is taken up by a tensioner that is driven by oil pressure. When the oil pressure is very low, like at idle in an engine with a few klms on it, the tensioner does not work very well, & the slop in the chain can cause a tick or click. In the worse case, the chain can have so much "slop" in it that it can touch the timing case.

I have never heard of a K series chain breaking, and there are stories that there have been timing covers that have worn through, with the chain slapping against it.

Turn the idling back up again,and see if the tick/click goes away.

The beauty of the K series is that they can have all the ticks & clicks in the world and sound like a bucket of loose bolts, but they still don't stop or let you down.

To prevent timing chain stretch, the rule is that you replace timing chain every time you do a major overhaul on a K series, preferable with a double row chain & sprockets from a 3K which are a straight fit to a 4KC, to my knowledge.

A good idea is to replace the auto tensioner at the same time.

If the click is not there when you first start the engine from a cold start, when the oil is thicker, but appears after the engine gets up to operating temperature, then it is a good chance it is the chain. If turning up the idling gives a similar result, then it is also likely to be the chain.

Don't worry about it. Turn up the music, and enjoy the ride.

:y:

kumbayaa, my Lord

kumbayaa

ya, i put the 3k timing chain into my 4k no probs; when they get loose, the engine sounds like a diesel

as a matter of fact; the original 3k had 382,000 mi on it and NO valve seals so it smoked, that coupled with the timing chain.....

i put a diesel fuel only sticker on the fuel door, and wiped a rag soaked in diesel all over inside that area and let it run down the side of the car, then left the rag in the cap area

got me out of at least 3 tickets by telling them she had a diesel in her :y:

Hey Mike,

I'm not sure our "boys in blue" would fall for that one out here in Australia. They would defect you anyway, as we now have very strict regs. on diesel powered road vehicles. Love your cheek though !

Diesel here is now dearer than ULP. It used to be the other way around in an attempt to lure people to get into diesel powered cars. It all backfired, so to speak, and now they are trying to discourage it.

Love your stories from the great USA.

:y:

I'm not sure our "boys in blue" would fall for that one out here in Australia.

i am pretty sure you could. i've seen highway patrol feds circle an accord for a good solid 10 minutes before they asked the owner to pop the bonnet. i reckon they couldn't figure out if it was front engine or rear engine, and that the bonnet was hinged at the front