Ke20 Flasher Unit

toyrta

hay guys pretty sure my flasher unit is buggered left indicator works fine but when i flick it to right it stays on constant, ive pulled the stalk apart and thats all fine. i got a replacement from repco but the pins are out it dosnt plug in....... been to 2 other shops and noone has a unit where the 2 pins match up and obviously the listing repco has is wrong ???

any1 else had this problem finding 1 ? am i best just to grab a 2nd hand 1 and be done with it ?

cheers guys

Members dont see this ad

Genuine item only unfortunately.

But before you go buying a new one which will probably be in excess of $100 ex-Japan from Toyota, pry open the factory relay casing and run over the solder joints with a soldering iron, heating them up and letting them cool down and plug it back in.

This got my old KE36 flasher relay working and it may or may not help with your indicator issue. Its free and worth a try!

Cool thanks alot for the tip I'll take it to work in morning and give it a go. Shame it's so expensive and ex japan considering I paid $10 for the aftermarket one haha. Thanks again mate much appreciated

Cool thanks alot for the tip I'll take it to work in morning and give it a go. Shame it's so expensive and ex japan considering I paid $10 for the aftermarket one haha. Thanks again mate much appreciated

No probs. Let us know how it goes and if it fixes it. :P

I have no experience with this, but could you just run some extension tails (short lengths of wire with male terminal on one end and female on the other) between the loom plug and the repco flasher can?

I have no experience with this, but could you just run some extension tails (short lengths of wire with male terminal on one end and female on the other) between the loom plug and the Repco flasher can?

Flasher relays work by how many watts in total your system is putting out under full load from memory (I may be slightly off with that, don't quote it!)

These KE2x and import KE3x ones are odd. Can't remember why an off the shelf one never worked as I tried your current suggestion with running some extension tails with connectors on each end and they just wouldn't flash at all.

The dry joints in the flasher relay was the issue I had.

Maybe Mr. Medicine_Man can shed some more light on the workings of a flasher relay on an early Corolla for us both :P

After market ones can work in several different ways. Some of the new ones or replaceble ones even have a seperate output for your Warning light, where as the early ones would just be in parallel with the output of the flasher unit. And the flasher unit is connected in series with you switch and not seperate for each side, in other words there's not 2 outputs of the flasher unit only one, which gets directed by the stalk. Just my 2 cents, but i'd check all your globes for good earths and check for corrosion aswell.

I have no experience with this, but could you just run some extension tails (short lengths of wire with male terminal on one end and female on the other) between the loom plug and the repco flasher can?

Yea that's how I have an aftermarket one hooked up in my ke15.

hay guys pretty sure my flasher unit is buggered left indicator works fine but when i flick it to right it stays on constant, ive pulled the stalk apart and thats all fine. i got a replacement from repco but the pins are out it dosnt plug in....... been to 2 other shops and noone has a unit where the 2 pins match up and obviously the listing repco has is wrong ???

any1 else had this problem finding 1 ? am i best just to grab a 2nd hand 1 and be done with it ?

cheers guys

When i was building my rolla (ke30) and i didnt put the front bar and indicators on, when i indicated the light stayed solid like you explain. Is one of your globes out?

Edited by cuzzo

Nah there's no globes out I've checked them all and checked for corosion etc pretty much I've elimiated every possible fault bar the flasher unit itself so I'll have a play with you guys suggestions and hopfully fix the issue. Thanks guys I'll let you know how I get on

success !! I tried the soldering iron but it didnt fix the issue so I ran the extension tails and now my indicators are working :D

Thanks for your advise guys

• 7 years later...