The New But Old

greenmac80

ok so the castors are in! stock ke10 stuff in the bin..

Image0137.jpg

tried my hand at panel neating and was surpirsed at the job i did turned out quite good... dent the size of my head is now 1/3 that and will most likely stay that way as

i can't get a dolly in the corners of the wheel arch.

cheers, Luc

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and yesty i spoke to my panel beater friend and he told me the way i should go about my roof... not what i wanted to hear but apparently roofs are very hard to fix..

so i'm gonna do the best i can... if i can't get it straight enough to make me happy then...

how does a VINYL roof KE10 sound?? lol.

Yeh vinyl it. I was checking out a trippy datto 1200 ute with a vinyl roof one night after I'd had a bunch of pints at the Geebung in Hawthorn, Melbs. The old dude who owned it came out and I got chatting, he showed me a photo album he carried of all the cars he'd done! Crazy. Some freak even got his blue VR commodore done with a white vinyl roof!!

Man you guys in the same shed with Ryan? I ought to swing by some night after work and check these puppies out.

From a trimmers point of view I say paint it, to do a decent vinyl roof you need it straight anyway, lumps and bumps still show. The vinyl goes straight onto prepped steelwork rather than having a foam backing to cover shit up.

By the time you get it straight enough for vinyl you may as well paint it, will look heaps better! Especially with the colours you've chosen.

JP

From a trimmers point of view I say paint it, to do a decent vinyl roof you need it straight anyway, lumps and bumps still show. The vinyl goes straight onto prepped steelwork rather than having a foam backing to cover shit up.

By the time you get it straight enough for vinyl you may as well paint it, will look heaps better! Especially with the colours you've chosen.

JP

hmmm so the vinyl goes directly onto bare metal or is it painted?

Yeh vinyl it. I was checking out a trippy datto 1200 ute with a vinyl roof one night after I'd had a bunch of pints at the Geebung in Hawthorn, Melbs. The old dude who owned it came out and I got chatting, he showed me a photo album he carried of all the cars he'd done! Crazy. Some freak even got his blue VR commodore done with a white vinyl roof!!

Man you guys in the same shed with Ryan? I ought to swing by some night after work and check these puppies out.

yeah 3 of us split the rent up. sure come down let ryan know.

hmmm so the vinyl goes directly onto bare metal or is it painted?

can go on either. The glue ( contact adhesive) actually sticksto bare metal better butyou can put it on primer or etch primer as well. Shouldn't be a problem either way. Even bare steel is weatherproofed when vinyl'd. All depends on your trimmer.

Still, painting would be better all round. A one off vinyl roof won't be cheap either, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone with a pattern for a rolla! That means more time and money.

JP

• 2 weeks later...

progress is still happening to this beastie..

colour has been changed. Going with DNA 'dragonfly green candy'

lately been trying to sort out rust treatment and proofing for my doors.

the corners are very hard to treat. i'm currently doing one door now. i've stripped the paint off of it inside and out!

rust converted

cleaned

rinsed

treated again

rinsed

zinc phosphated

rinsed,

and tomorrow the paint will go on. its a sealer. and it goes hard with moisture! which is perfect. so provided its sticks and seals then the doors will very nearly never rust again!

probs will but ay hopefully not in my lifetime.

hopefully finish treating the door tomorrow night and prime the whole thing.

cheers, Luc