The World Cup

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how people bag a sport they know nothing about!

I'm actually right into the World Cup. Australia did very well to even make it in and they landed in a pretty freakin tough group. Germany, Serbia and Ghana ?!?!?!? Jeezuz! These are all nations where Football is their premier sport. In Australia it is not our most popular sport, but we made it anyway.

You showed your ignorance kangaroosa by saying "How many countries actually missed out on making it into the World Cup? How involved in Soccer are they normally in a regular basis?". After already saying you don't follow the sport. Actually plenty of nations, where Football is their most popular sport, didn't make it. Australia did make it. We should be proud of that.

Personally I'm enjoying it. I'm following Australia, Greece and Mexico. Sadly over night results meant that Greece do not move onto the round of 16 and to be honest it would take a miracle for Australia to make it through also. So now my hopes fall to Mexico. Again due to overnight results.... they do move through to the round of 16, even though they lost to Uruguay. Thankfully Bafana Bafana had a bag of goals scored against them meaning that Mexico scraped through even though they had the same amount of points.

Of course the most popular teams have been interesting to watch.... Argentina, Spain (although they have been in poor form), Brazil, Portugal etc......... but I gotta say that I have enjoyed watching Chile play. Also enjoyed the upheaval in the French team.

Anyway...... GO MEXICO !!!!!!!!

PS: The red card on Kewell was unfortunate for Australia..... but by the rules of the game it is a handball. The biggest problem is the inconsistency of the referees.

I can't be bothered arguing anymore. So i'll just say that I hate soccer with a passion, and maybe my ignorance comes from a total and utter lack of interest in the sport.

So therefor I wont be posting in this thread or any others on the forum except for my build thread and the VIC section.

Good day.

I can't be bothered arguing anymore. So i'll just say that I hate soccer with a passion, and maybe my ignorance comes from a total and utter lack of interest in the sport.

So therefor I wont be posting in this thread or any others on the forum except for my build thread and the VIC section.

Good day.

I'm not arguing with you champ. The fact that you hate and have a total lack of interest in the sport though, makes me wonder why you bothered to post in this thread at all. It's a free world, so go nuts, but of course other people are going to question and respond to your comments. If you are going to let that put you off enjoying the forum then so be it. Good day indeed.

Kangaroosa, It seems that the most self opinionated person here is you.

I think you need to chill out a bit. It's fine if you have no interest in the sport but obviously if you come into a thread about soccer and start bad mouthing the game and the Australian team you're going to get some bad reactions. If you are so ignorant of the sport then maybe your opinions are best kept to yourself unless you can express them in a positive way.

Saying that Australia will never win is bullshit. We have as much of a chance as any other team that makes the finals. What you said isn't far away from the attitude that if something is hard to do then it's not worth doing. We can't win if we don't try.

Chobis:

I agree that the decision against Kewell was indeed a handball, but there was obviously no intent behind his actions, so why did it warrant a red card? As far as I'm concerned the game should have finished a 1-1 draw. Australia had enough opportunities to score but we squandered them.

I've enjoyed watching the Netherlands play. They have the ability to keep possession of the ball in times of need but still make the game exciting. Obviously Argentina and Portugal have also been good viewing, but I also liked Korea DPR in the first 40 minutes or so of their match against Portugal.

Also, Go Mexico!! Blanco for Mexico is a delight to watch. The man is a master. That is all :yes:.

Cheers,

Sian

Update,

I wasn't trying to start a bitch session.

'roosa. I met you in Jan on the cruise. Your head is screwed on tight, but we all follow our own shit. be cool!

I've now become Argentinean. No I don't like Maradona, but I think they've got the chops to do it.

What do I do in my spare time? Well if sleep time is spare, I sit up watching the cup. It's one month of no sleep every 4 years.

Stoked Italy are out after the last cup thing against Australia!! I hate no one! Just some teams give me the shits!

Boo

I'm glad Italy are out for the same reason. Also they annoyed me a bit with some of the antics looking for a penalty. All teams do it, but some do it much more.

VERY disappointed with Mexico's defeat this morning. Got up at 4am to watch it and Mexico had two VERY close shots on goal in the first ten minutes and really looked the goods until an Argetinian off-side goal was allowed. That messed with the Mexicans heads and they lost their focus. On paper Argentina should have won anyway, but as we have seen in this world cup, things haven't always gone according to paper. For this reason alone I hope Germany smash Argentina next week!

I agree with the no sleep for 4 weeks comment too. Just a pity that it's also End of Financial Year cos I have been pumping out 12 hour days at work as well. Starting to look like complete crap and feel about as good. Ah well.... 2 more days and then I can concentrate on the Cup.

Chile is my new hope..... sadly they are up against Brazil so they are likely to get smashed as well!

I'm glad Italy are out for the same reason. Also they annoyed me a bit with some of the antics looking for a penalty. All teams do it, but some do it much more.

VERY disappointed with Mexico's defeat this morning. Got up at 4am to watch it and Mexico had two VERY close shots on goal in the first ten minutes and really looked the goods until an Argetinian off-side goal was allowed. That messed with the Mexicans heads and they lost their focus. On paper Argentina should have won anyway, but as we have seen in this world cup, things haven't always gone according to paper. For this reason alone I hope Germany smash Argentina next week!

I agree with the no sleep for 4 weeks comment too. Just a pity that it's also End of Financial Year cos I have been pumping out 12 hour days at work as well. Starting to look like complete crap and feel about as good. Ah well.... 2 more days and then I can concentrate on the Cup.

Chile is my new hope..... sadly they are up against Brazil so they are likely to get smashed as well!

Luckily my job knows I'm a grumpy C**t for the 4 weeks. I think Germany have it on paper with Osil. But as I said, I'm now light blue!!

see you on the red eye Chobis

Boo

As predicted, Brazil disposed of Chile.... DAMMIT !!!!!

Netherlands took care of Slovakia and to be honest I am was suprised to see Slovakia get through their group, so I think they did well. I would like to think Netherlands may be a dark horse. They have won all 4 matches they've played. However, they haven't struck any of the big boys yet. Next they meet Brazil. Bye Bye Nederland!

Okay so next up is Spain and Portugal. Jeez I'd love Spain to win, but they haven't impressed me so far to be honest. Portugal had a monster 7-0 win against North Korea and drew the other two mayches in their round. The Portugal vs Brazil match was a waste of my time. I was disappointed. I guess neither of them wanted to end up with injuries or red cards and as both were already through they didn't really try too hard. I think Portugal have looked good, even though Ronaldo hasn't impressed.

The other game is Paraguay vs Japan. Just for a giggle I'd like to see Japan get through.

OHMYGOD !!!! I wrote Spain off...... but Villa has given them a 1-0 win over Ronaldo and his gang. I'm so happy !!!!!! Once again Ronaldo showed nothing worthy of a mention. He's really been disappointing right through.

Enhorabuena España !!!!!

Sadly Japan lost in a penalty shoot-out. 5-3. I never like to see this end to an international level game, let alone World Cup.

So now we are up to the quarter finals. This is what we will see:

Netherlands v Brazil

Uruguay v Ghana

Argentina v Germany

Paraguay v Spain

So......... let's tip. I think we will see Brazil, Ghana, Germany and Spain go through.

Yep, I'm back on Spain now. That win will give them huge confidence.

I just wish they'd pull that Ronaldo castrol ad. It's doing my head in! I was stoked he is out, just way too smug for my liking.

I agree with your predictions, but I think Argentina will pump Germany and an all South American final.

whats wrong with him filling up his engine oil when there oil filler is no were near wear his pouring it!

thats what gives me the shits

I agree with your predictions, but I think Argentina will pump Germany and an all South American final.

I hope you're right but I just don't think Argentina have what it takes to beat Germany right now. They didn't look that good against Mexico. Germany on the other hand smashed England..... although they lost to Serbia. Go figure.

On a side note..... I went to the Boomers vs Argentina basketball match last night here in Adelaide for a bit of a look. Boomers took care of business but were unimpressive. Very small Argentinian contingency in the crowd..... but they made a LOT of noise. I can only imagine what they're like at the World Cup. I would love to be there to see the pride some of these fans have in their nation. I'm thinking 2014 in Brazil might be worth a look.