Headlight Issues

greenmac80

So my KE30 is a 1975. has the external regulator for the alternator and what not.

since i've had the car the low beams have not worked. the lamps and globes have been replaced.

there is box on the passenger side that the headlight wires appear to run into so i would think that its the relay.

6pins! but on the box it says tail relay?

my question is... has anyone else had this issue and how did you go about fixing it?

ie. replace the relay with another one? buy a new one? (if yes then where and how much)

or for someone cluey with electrics did you split the relay up? and have a couple of seperate ones to control tail lamps and headlights?

cheers, Luc

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was thinking the stalk but a mate made a good point. if the connections were dirty then i wouldn't be getting the distinct clicks from the relay.

the relay clicks twice once for parkers then again for low beams. but no low beams come on.

the clicks indicate the stalk is fine.

well i think.

KE30/55 Wiring Diagrams :)

As i said yesterday, i'dd be looking at the wiring between the relay and headlights.

Both headlights run off a single wire that splits up at the plug for the RH headlight. A break in that wire before the RH headlight will cause both to stop working.

Edited by SLO-030

well i'm thinking that there must be a break in the wires somwhere. but i seriouslt can't be f@$ked pulling it all apart. any one got a multi meter?

that way i can make sure

I picked one up for $50 from Jaycar (they have even cheaper ones, but the one around $50 looked like the best without looking like it was going to break).

I had some issues with my headlights in my AE86 a while ago, turned out to be a lose wire in the stalk/steering column that was coming off the switch in there. When I had issues with the low beams on my KE55 it was the actual headlight itself that had died (the left low beam didn't work, but the highbeam did if I remember correctly).