Need To Borrow 2x Toyota Lifting Hooks

Trev

Members dont see this ad
i remember lifting an engine using telecom rope once.

casualty: one steering rack case.

camerondownunder88 and I removed his 4k via bike tie downs, I lifted the motor and he pulled the strap until it was high enough, back in the days :)

Edited by Trev

You'd be surprised at the tensile strength of steel. A 3mm stanless steel M3 screw can stand 100g of tension. And exhause bolt could be more than capable of holding the engine up as I have used them any times when hooks are unavailable. Although the hooks make life sooooo mutch easier.

ah yes close,

that last few times ive taken/put in a 4age ive wrapped packing straps (the ones with the metal ratchet, you use for trailers) around the block and through the intake/exhaust manifolds.

not ideal, but it does give you the advantage of being able to monouver the engine around a fair bit when its in the air (or close to engine mounts)

also to the ideas of using a bolt, your not really supposed to put any weight in shear on the threaded part of the bolt. but ive no doubt it works well anyway, since 4ages really arent that heavy to begin with.

When you put a bolt in the lifting location the pulling force is pulling upwards and this could break the aluminium away whereas the force applied using the lifting hooks bolted securely to the mounts is an out wards force as if you are trying to pull the bolt out of the hole.

I know what way I prefer.

Edited by Trev