20v 4age - Did Toyota Lie About The Power?

beerhead

Well I've read 100 times now, people saying that toyota inflated there power rating of the 20V 4age engine series. I'm quite certain this rumour is because all Japanese engines are rated in PS (metric HP) and people forget to take that into consideration.

I'm assuming a 20% drivetrain loss for RWD vehicles.

Crank power crank PS crank HP RWHP RWKW

Silvertop - 160 157.8 126.2 94

Blacktop - 168 165.7 132.5 98

Now not everyone makes 94kw with there ST 20V, but there are many people that do. If you're making 85kw atw on a dirty old 20V with unknown km's on it you're doing fairly well.

My conclusion is that there's as many bad tuners out there as there are rattly old 20V's at the importers. Concluding that Toyota overinflated there power rating based on a peoples experiences with 2nd hand motors that are getting close to 20 years old seems plain wrong. Especially when a majority of the RWD swaps have deleted the airbox and negated the factory coolant flow designed specifically to keep intake temps down(denser air = more HP).

Is my logic right?

Members dont see this ad

I bet it was serviced properly, as long as the rings still seal nice old bearings with looser tolerances in the bottom end should go better than new. You've got a golden goose bigport there trev, no doubt about it, but my 20V AE93 will spank it :dance:

I bet it was serviced properly, as long as the rings still seal nice old bearings with looser tolerances in the bottom end should go better than new. You've got a golden goose bigport there trev, no doubt about it, but my 20V AE93 will spank it :dance:

Look at any 16v dyno results, hardly ever see one under 70fwkw.

race from 50k's, KGO :dance:

There are some engines out there, not many people talk about them out of pure fear.... i've only ever heard of a few round these parts and they call them, freaks....... DUN DUN DAHHH!!!

Nobody knows how they come to be. Whether they were abuse as children, seen there parents murdered with a axe or if the man in the chair poked them in the head with an oversize mill bit.

They're what some call the 1 percenters. You can find em in the beater boxes or in a new ride, all I know is you treat em' nice and they shit all over you. You give em hell and they'll love you for it. DUN DUN DAHHH!!!!

Edited by GJM85

There are some engines out there, not many people talk about them out of pure fear.... i've only ever heard of a few round these parts and they call them, freaks....... DUN DUN DAHHH!!!

Nobody knows how they come to be. Whether they were abuse as children, seen there parents murdered with a axe or if the man in the chair poked them in the head with an oversize mill bit.

They're what some call the 1 percenters. You can find em in the beater boxes or in a new ride, all I know is you treat em' nice and they shit all over you. You give em hell and they'll love you for it. DUN DUN DAHHH!!!!

Yep i think the same ^^^^^

ha and another thing if it was put together on a Monday or Tuesday the engine builders they are still recovering from the weekend ( so you do not want one of these motors), Thursday and Firday forget it aswell as they are planning for another killer weekend on the SAKE.

So therefore you want a Wednesday Freak motor as these have all the kill-a-wasps :dance:

Edited by _FNQ_rolla_

i believe these motor where built by jesus himself

I only get 67.3 RWKW out of my 20v Silvertop. Still needs a couple of things done here and there (new cam belt, tyres). The people who have dyno'd it (two different places on two different occassions) didn't seem to think that it was making too little power. Everyone else though has disagreed and at the CCG dyno day people were saying "I would't be happy if I was making any less than 90RWKW out of that engine". I'm hoping once I take it in for a tune, replaced the cam belt, get the timing checked, put on new tyres (with grip) and take the socks off that I'll get some of my lost 20KW back.

I only get 67.3 RWKW out of my 20v Silvertop. Still needs a couple of things done here and there (new cam belt, tyres). The people who have dyno'd it (two different places on two different occassions) didn't seem to think that it was making too little power. Everyone else though has disagreed and at the CCG dyno day people were saying "I would't be happy if I was making any less than 90RWKW out of that engine". I'm hoping once I take it in for a tune, replaced the cam belt, get the timing checked, put on new tyres (with grip) and take the socks off that I'll get some of my lost 20KW back.

So the dyno graph has dips where the wheelspin was?

There is either something wrong with that engine or the tune.

Those people are right - you should be seeing more like 90 rwkw. My tired 20V was making over 90rwkw :dance: