4K 80Amp Alternator Upgrade!

Evan G

Members dont see this ad
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Evan, if 80amp isn`t enough the calais/statesman/caprice V8 ones up to VP/VQ s2 are 120amp which I'm pretty sure is what i have in mine. Well thats what i orded anyway.

Queensland starters and alternators did it for me(mate had the factory next door).

Gave 13.9v at battery which is in the boot, with all electrics on including high beams indicators, thermo, cd player, 2 fuel pumps, ecu etc. :dance:

lol. I didnt notice any loss in power mainly cause in the whole s/c upgrade i needed a bigger alt to cope with the extra stuff i was running.

stu.

just run another 4k in the boot with 3 120amp alternators :hmm:

Bbrraaaahahaha.

But then were are they going to put all the sub boxes or air bag tanks???

Oh also do you just run the trigger wire for the regulator(off the plug) to the charge wire post?

I had mine running to ignition power but had big issues getting charge, changed to the battery or charge wire post and all good. Keen to know of any other ways to do is all.

Stu.

• 2 weeks later...

a little update. (not sure if i had a dud alternator)

crusing home from work wednesday night. charge light came on. cracked the shits and gave it a BIG rev. was fine for 20mins.

got home changed the regulator. was charging at 14.6v underload! (slighty overcharging). i just cooked the 3rd reg just before.

was going good for more than 9 months. not sure what the problem. possibly FUBAR diode. would charge at 11v then 14.6 after a BIG REV.(currently running a 55amp) also found that my car went LIKE STINK when the alternator wasnt charging (no drag on the engine :P)

also people who are going to do this conversion youll need a couple washers for the bottom bracket.

ill be doing this upgrade from MHMILLS soon so ill take plenty of pics

edit - I'm also THINK that vn/vs bosch alternators are the same as a vl?

Edited by Evan G

hey funny you should update this when you did, as i gave this a go tonight.. and yea i got hold of a vn 5.0 litre alternator (85amp) for 20 bucks and it was a piece of cake doing it, only problem is i didn't have the wiring plug with it.. turns out bosch injector plugs are the same as the bosch alternator, i used a ford EA plug. :P

Edited by dbr11k

Hey Evan I've got a big body Bosch k-sev alt sitting in my car. It's not being used and it cost me nothing. So if you want it for a conversion it's yours. Spewin Jake just left my place about 45min ago could have just given it to him.

Stu.