4K 80Amp Alternator Upgrade!

Evan G

first off you need a vl 80amp alternator witch looks like this

post-8435-064542100 1284280604_thumb.jpg

make sure you get the loom connector that plugs into the regulator! also grab a couple of regulators just in-case the ones in your vl alternator are worn!

step 1 - dismantle the 4k alternator and vl alternators.

post-8435-036942000 1284280880_thumb.jpgpost-8435-057101100 1284280932_thumb.jpg

step 2 - swap all the internals from the vl alternator to the corolla casing and use the vl fan (more fins = better cooling)

step 3 - now remember those 4 LONG bolts holding the casing together? you need to find 2 about 2cm longer (i got mine from a 5k starter motor)

step 4 - install those 2 longer bolts with the rear bracket and bolt it all up

step 5 - install the regulator.

step 6 - theres 2 wires coming off the vl reg, a thick white wire and a small brown one. white is constant power and brown is for the battery light

i can't remember where they go into the corolla wiring but theres a small 2 pin plug going to the old alternator, one will have 12v constant and ignition power (use a multimeter)

step 7 - UPGRADE THE CHARGING WIRE! because that 2mm charging wire isn't gonna last long with 80 amps. now what i did was get a thick battery wire (from supercheap) and wire it from alternator output post TO starter motor positive post. wires are hidden and looks neat

step 8 - install alternator and refit fan belt.

step 9 - start her up and turn all the lights on and check charging voltage

(i got 14.5v under full load with everything electrical cranking! my lights don't dim with my sub anymore :P)

it took me a GOOOD day to do all this. also paint the alternator housing/pulley/fan so they look shmick!

feel free to ask any questions!

• Upvote 2

Members dont see this ad

There are two common types of reg/bush sets, the type there (VL and many other gm etc), and the same as corolla.

Not sure if they are interchangeable, but seems likely. Rather than chopping your wiring

you don't chop any existing wiring, all you do is crimp spade terminals on the vl reg wires and plug em in the corolla loom.

easssyyy

What are the benefits of this upgrade?

Minus if your not running a audio system.

more powerrr!

well the std corolla output is 40 amps and the demister pulls 30amps when its turned on :glare:

i did my upgrade cause i wanted to run a decent thermo and i was sick of the lights dimming with my sub LOL

Edited by Evan G

but let me guess, real men drive A bangers aye? :lolcry:

Where else does the A in mAn come from, it's not a Kids car :P

more powerrr!

well the std corolla output is 40 amps and the demister pulls 30amps when its turned on :glare:

i did my upgrade cause i wanted to run a decent thermo and i was sick of the lights dimming with my sub LOL

More electrical power but I bet that it puts more load on the engine making it lose about .5 of a kw.