Engine Weight

I haven't seen a topic on this, although whenever an engine conversion is talked about its the first thing bought up!

Engine weights.

So who volunteers to weigh their engine?

I used some bathroom scales and an engine crane. (the scales were glass too!)

So i will start, please add to this if you can.

SR20DET = 120kg This included, cast turbo manifold, flywheel, cas, inlet manifold, fuel, oil in sump. everything except for starter motor and alternator.

I imagine a long motor would be under 100kg.

Weights I hope you guys can provide.

3,4,5,7K series

4age

3sge

ca18

1g

anything else you have on your garage floor!

Edited by oh what a nissan feeling!

Members dont see this ad

Me and SLO-030 pulled a 4k motor out of a wagon today with a cross bar

and some rope, lol I'm guessing that it dosnt weigh that much at all really.

Its an interesting question though, i mean it was heavy but it wasnt unliftable

by any means. I don't have scales so i couldnt really weigh it but ill be keen

to find out what it is too.

5K's must be a fair bit lighter than 4k's for whatever reason. I bought a 5K with attached K50 last night and had no way to get them off the back of the ute other than my own two arms and back. So I pulled the gearbox off the motor whilst still in the back of the ute and lifted it out. The gearbox has bugger all weight in it so I'd say 25kg's would be a good guestimate.

I was then going to seperate the head, block and manifolds etc to lighten things up so I could then heft out the rest but decided I couldn't be bothered as it was nearly 9:30PM and starting to rain again(plus apparently the sump is still full of oil...a disaster waiting to happen). As the alternator has been located on the other side to the manifolds on this engine(the 5K in Rosie, my KE30, has them all on the same side) I used them as handles and lifted the motor out. It wasn't too much trouble so I'd guess it weighing in around 100kg's? Might have been easier as I could keep the load nice and close to my body and it was distributed pretty evenly.