Ke70 Short Stroke Rear Shock

nichy

Hey all. i have done alot of searching and even brought some recommended hi-lux shocks to find the bottom hole is too small.

so the question is. does anyone have a part number/or car for kyb shocks to fit the rear of a ke70 that are short stroke but not as short as zook ones ?

and i have looked all though suspension forums and people just say they use kyb short shocks.... never what from lol

preferably from a heavier car :)

cheers nichy

Members dont see this ad

well i rang kyb and found out that suzuki serria front shocks are

465mm full extension and 285 compressed. just right and the same as the hi-lux ones

they are the same as the hi-lux shock but not as stiff..close. and have a 16mm eye hole for the lower mount. not a 14mm like hy-lux lol.

part number 343186 kyb

cheers

how low is your car?

the ones i have are for some commondore wagon.(FE2 though, so apparnetly stiffer..)

part number 343113.

they go alright with the ~4kg/mm springs i have. and if you go and find my members rides thread you can see how high my car is. but its maybe 140mm at the jacking seams, so pretty low.

sierra shocks are miles to short for a car that is of legal height.

will have them in tomorrow. car is low but not slammed.

legal height in tassie ? hahahahahaha

whats length on extension and compression on the commo ones?

serriers are almost a good 25-30cm shorter i think than standard. the hi-lux ones looked the perfect size when holding them up....

will post befor and after pics tomorrow

And then have no shock travel?

Commo shocks will keep cut springs in, up to about when the tyre is level with the guard (depending on rate, and same rolling diameter as stock).

The only way sierra's work is if the car is ultra low, like 40mm rail height. Which will be shite

Also, if you actually want it to handle, you could talk to Dave at AJPS, and get a proper set of springs and short boge shocks to suit

Edited by KENut

i'd just go a sierra shock anyways, it will hold the spring tight and will never let the spring fall out or come un stuck (like cut springs do) unless they are way shorter having about 4 or 5 coils left

what do you mean "like cut springs do"?

cut springs are no different to shorter "proper springs", except one end isnt flat.

with the correct length shocks they perform NO DIFFERENT than uncut short springs.

simliar with the INcorrect length shocks they also perform NO DIFFERENT than uncut short springs.

if you go and buy a pair of 220mm "proper" springs, and use standard shocks, there is a good chance they will wont be captive, and thus fall out too.

rebound travel is just as important if not more important than bump travel.

if you are maxing out the length of your shocks your wheels are being held off the ground by the shocks when you go over bumps, and if the wheels arent on the ground, they cannot provide grip. thus your car will handle like poo and will just skate across bumps in the road.

cut springs will in my experiance fall out alot more than a 'proper' spring will,

Maybe i'm wierd and i like stiff cars were if your guts aren't dribbling down your cheek by the end of the drive, your doing it wrong

On the subject of short shocks my mate has a custom set of springs and shocks in the back of his ed and the shocks hold the spring captive the whole time and it does everything but hop around all the bumps

On the subject of short shocks my mate has a custom set of springs and shocks in the back of his ed and the shocks hold the spring captive the whole time and it does everything but hop around all the bumps

i think your missing the point of my post.

holding the spring captive the whole time is the good.

what is not good, is holding the spring captive the whole time and only having an extra 10mm of rebound travel from static position. which tends to happen when you have shocks that are TOO short.

this only works on an F1 car's that race on billiard table quality race tracks.

there is nothing wrong with having super stiff suspension, but the wheels can't fall away from the car on to the road, you will have no grip, since the tyres arent on the road....

Just as a note - the serria being 4wd and offroad capable there'll a good range of lifted shocks for them as well. So your not just limited to standard height, its something most people don't realize.

Rancho's for one type. I'd also say with the kyb's they'll be the same, able to get ones raised.

The Hilux shocks did you look at the 2wd ones or the 4wd ones ? There is a difference.

2wd ones dude... ah well

i have the serria's in and cut 1 coil off from a sigma rear spring and they are fine. i have shock travel but it is quite stiff. its what i was after and i don't see my car as super low. it also handels quiet well. but hey each to their own :)

post-7411-083975600 1289566563_thumb.jpg

what do you mean "like cut springs do"?

cut springs are no different to shorter "proper springs", except one end isnt flat.

with the correct length shocks they perform NO DIFFERENT than uncut short springs.

simliar with the INcorrect length shocks they also perform NO DIFFERENT than uncut short springs.

if you go and buy a pair of 220mm "proper" springs, and use standard shocks, there is a good chance they will wont be captive, and thus fall out too.

rebound travel is just as important if not more important than bump travel.

if you are maxing out the length of your shocks your wheels are being held off the ground by the shocks when you go over bumps, and if the wheels arent on the ground, they cannot provide grip. thus your car will handle like poo and will just skate across bumps in the road.

I can feel the difference in cut rears, have you driven with a similar height properly wound spring to compare with?

• 7 years later...