4Agze Big Or Small Port

JedzWagn

Hi I found an early model transverse mount jdm spec 4agze from an ae92 Levin with about 85k on it. Incl. wiring loom factory IC etc.

It's been sitting in a garage for about 10 years...

So I thought it was high time to bite the bullet & put it into my ae95 4wd wagon.

So can anyone tell me if mine's a big or small port??

How do I tell... & W'sTF-ing difference when I put the pedal to the metal?

Members dont see this ad

Thanks for poppin in guys,

So I'm new to all this, MAP is what? Manifold Air Pressure??

&

I'm guessing AFM is.. Air Flow Meter??

Does it make any difference

So can anyone provide - general consensus type - information on the pros & cons of the big port..

Sounds good to me - (sure I'm bias I just bought the bloody thing!) but... my basic reasoning is big port = higher rate of flow through the engine, meaning good top end power & the super charger should take care of the lower end.

In any case it'll be a big improvement on the 4afe.

Thanks for the link NZ:

Quote "AE92 uses DLI ignition (wasted spark with crank angle sensor and twin coil packs), also has 7-rib block End Quote

I read his other thread on DLI ignition good write ups..

Can some one provide more detail on 'wasted spark w/ crank angle sensor??

the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor versions have a small black box that is attached to the inlet manifold by a rubber pipe. (This pipe lets the sensor sample the inlet manifold air pressure) The MAP sensor usually sits on the firewall, and looks like this -

post-11496-075454900 1289680432_thumb.jpg

The AFM (air flow meter) sits between the throttle body and the air cleaner. The AFM is simply a sprung flap that swings back more and more as the engine sucks more air, thus making more power. looks like this -

post-11496-035465000 1289680587_thumb.jpg

Thanks I've seen that on Billzilla's page & the picture there shows a filter then the sensor then the throttle body, so it's not the same as a supercharged application.

I have a new question.

Is there a non TVIS intake set up that will fit the bigport engine?

Edited by JedzWagn

Thanks I've seen that on Billzilla's page.

I have a new question.

Is there a non TVIS intake set up that will fit the bigport engine?

The bigport GZEs don't actually have TVIS anyway, unless you're talking about the NA engines, in which case you can remove the TVIS butterfly plates, block up the holes for the pivots and then Robert's your father's brother. Or there are adaptor plates which take the place of the whole TVIS plate so it all bolts up cleanly. As to whether or not they are worthwhile is a completely different story.

hmm i did not know that about the GZE's re-TVIS.

i think TVIS is a good idea on boosted engines, it may not yield the largest peak hp figure but the lower end HP should be increased.

and the area under the power curve is what is important, not just peak value.

one of these days i will do a direct comparison TVIS vs non-TVIS on a boosted 4age. Not this year though!

Well, that's the direction I'm heading in anyway... (I'll explain in a moment)

Yeah I did some more searching last night & learned the individual butterflies can be removed or just buy adapter plates.

Can anyone suggest where I might find adapter plates to replace the TVIS butterflies? (I'm in Melbourne.)

Ok...So.. yes Hiro, I know 4agze's come standard with top mount intercooler & weird little box shaped air chamber that the stumpy runners branch off unevenly from....

Why would I want to fit a (non butterflied)TVIS plenum & runners to a bigport 4agze????? (I'm actually not the first to do this)

Well, I'll break it down... the basic concept is this:

First & foremost.. "The purpose of the vehicle"

I'm an outdoors person (camping fishing surfing snowboarding) but I'm not into big beast road cars or 4wd's

The AE95 4WD WAGON is already a versatile vehicle, basically capable of 2 seperate purposes.

1) Good road ability but really needs more power

2) Good dirt & snow ability but needs better/higher suspension

So... Let's deal with the road aspect first.

The most obvious mod all 4agze owners are aware of is to upgrade the pulley system, this in turn creates higher temps, creating the need for a bigger intercooler. The biggest intercoolers are front mounted, but... being further away from the super charger & intake means some power is lost. One way to regain or even increase more horsepower is to do everything possible to eliminate turbulence.

In the context of eliminating turbulence the flow shapes of the stock 4agze intake are probably the most weird & angular shapes of all 4A** engines.

So that's probably the main reason I'm keen to use the long, torque inducing runners of a big port (non-butterflied)TVIS plenum.

Combined with some polishing & porting, I'm keen to see what results. ??

So that's all my considerations around the road aspects of the vehicle...

but..

What about the dirt & snow ability?

Well.., aside from raising the suspension, I want to install a switch for the supercharger so I can completely disengage it at will, leaving the engine to run naturally aspirated,as the air will just flow straight past the idle supercharger lobes.

Combine all these aspects: The higher suspension, the all wheel drive, (some all terrain tyres) the unusually low 1st gear ratio of the AE95 & the big ports complete lack of low down torque when it's run naturally aspirated &... you end up with a very road capable wagon that can easily climb steep winding muddy tracks without overheating the engine.

All feedback / input welcome guys

Edited by JedzWagn

• 1 month later...

Update, well I've since bought an old 1st gen 4age intake & still have to find or make an adaptor plate.

I'm considering making one out of phenolic resin as an insulator from engine heat as well as getting the intake chrome-ceramic coated both for looks & practicality - every little bit that helps to keep intake temps cool.

I also learned that the early gen 4agze I bought didn't have ceramic piston heads or oil squirters, so I bought some ceramic pistons & got talking to the seller & for a sweet deal he ended up selling me the block that they came out of & threw in heaps of stuff he was going to part out on ebay.

So now I have the bottom end I want.

BTW I've decided I want the engine to go in a later model AE95 that came standard with sun roof & power windows. They're getting harder to find so if anyone sees one please let me know.

Currently converting shed into auto garage.

PS. How do I post pics on here? I clicked on the insert image icon & it asks for a web address (??) Is there a browser button I can use to upload pics from my own computer?

• 1 year later...

..And finally I found the AE95 with a sunroof I was looking for. Here's what it looks like, so far...

Just stripping out the wiring loom carefully in one piece.

Not quite ready to drop the engine yet.

Current thoughts are full body re-spray..

Also dummying up what is now going to be a fully built 7AGZE engine

1.8Ltr block with notch to clear transfer case.

Oil squirters machined in

Hardenend steel dowels machined into crank to fit neat into holes drilled into flywheel

(prevents the 6 bolts from shearing off)

Spool forged rods

GZE 8.9:1 ceramic pistons

post-12320-0-77660300-1326716317_thumb.jpg

post-12320-0-98564400-1326716829_thumb.jpg

post-12320-0-95522300-1326717361_thumb.jpg

Edited by JedzWagn

• 1 year later...

Well it's been a long time since I posted.

I had to move house.

Took a while to set up a new garage / workshop.

In the mean time my synchro's died in my daily (luckily I had a 3rd 4wd wagon and company car to keep going, but seriously.. too many corolla's now but cn't seem to let go of them)

Currently put the 7AGZE on hold, doing a GZE conversion into the one with dead synchro's, looking at using an E58 box

Sorry, I'm totally shit when it comes to posting pics online

photobucket links to random shed/corolla 4Af,g,z,t,e stuff here:

http://s1274.beta.photobucket.com/user/JedzWagn/media/gun-metal%20wagon/080220131355_zps8e846632.jpg.html