Pre 1972 Engine Conversion

ke10jr

Members dont see this ad

hi,

I own a 1968 ke10 Rolla and i was told by a mate that any pre 1972 car can have any engine conversion legally in NSW is this true??

cheers

joe

I don't see that being true but there is only one way to find out.

correct me if I'm wrong, but 1972 was when the ADR laws in australia came into play?

any car made before that you can pretty much do what ever you like to it. in regards to emissions, noise and fuel consumption labelling

haha I'm most likely going to get smashed for this. dad was telling me about it a year or 2 ago. so memory is hazy

Edited by Mason.

Emission standards for replacement engines

1972 and later model vehicles with substitute engines must meet the intent of the later of the Australian Design

Rules applicable to either:

a) The original vehicle; or

b) The substitute engine.

To ensure continued compliance with emission standards, any replacement engine should come from a vehicle which

is subject to the same or more stringent emission control requirements. An alternative is for an earlier engine to be

upgraded during reconditioning to more recent engine specifications. All anti-pollution devices should be fitted and

functional.

Vehicles manufactured prior to noise and/or exhaust emissions related ADRs must meet certain minimum noise

and emission requirements if the engine modification is to such an extent as to require certification by an

(Extract from the NSW Transport Website)

CLICK

From what I understand, anything that would normally need to be engineered in a post 1972 car, will still need to be done to a pre 1972 car. The difference is they don't have to meet the stricter db and pollution tests associated with the ADR's. Most Transport sites suggest the same thing.

Edited by kangaroosa

correct me if I'm wrong, but 1972 was when the ADR laws in australia came into play?

any car made before that you can pretty much do what ever you like to it. in regards to emissions, noise and fuel consumption labelling

haha I'm most likely going to get smashed for this. dad was telling me about it a year or 2 ago. so memory is hazy

Pretty much.