Fixing Rust.

Bullet55

Members dont see this ad

..and if you don't want to/can't weld it, fibreglassing over the holes first is a lot stronger than bog and doesn't fall out. Don't forget to hit it all with phosphoric acid, one of those rustkill sort of products, before you start repairing it.

Rust is always much worse than it looks unfortuantely, so expect it to be a bigger job that you think.

i did exactly what you describe bullet55.

just as we were masking up the car to spray it with undercoat (full car respray..)

rememberd the hole i needed to fix, bit of rust kill, attack it with a wire brush, filled it up with bog, sanded it back.

worked great, for about 6months.

it has come back rusted worse now, and annoyingly its through the new paint!

you can't beat welding new bits of metal in, but if you dotn have the skills and equipment then that can be expensive. maybe try and find someone who will help you out for a box of beer. once its welded in you can do the rest with a grinder and maybe a very small amount of bog to make it completely smooth.

fibreglass will do alot better than bog thats for sure, and its easy to use.

oxy weld is better than nothing!

meh who cares if your 16, have a crack at it, its how you learn!

i personally have not used fibreglass to fix rust holes (used glass for other things though), but maybe have a google on how its done. theres heaps of panel beating forums out there with some great info.

oxy weld is better than nothing!

meh who cares if your 16, have a crack at it, its how you learn!

i personally have not used fibreglass to fix rust holes (used glass for other things though), but maybe have a google on how its done. theres heaps of panel beating forums out there with some great info.

thanks buddy.. me and my brother were doin a burnout anddddd hit dads trailer lol..

so now it needs a new front drivers side quater and bumper but was going to put ke30 bupers on anyways..

cheers again

me and my brother were doin a burnout anddddd hit dads trailer lol..

ROFLMAO !! Oh, to once again be young dumb and full of c.....

Nah, you'll be right. 16 is a great age to start playing around with cars, so when you're thirty you'll know heaps.

If you can, cut all the metal with rust on it right out, weld new metal in by doing 'spots' so you minmise the heat distortion, and bog over the top like panel-beaters do. Bog only really fails when its on rusty metal.

If the welding doesn't work, get rid of the rust with rustkill, then use fine fibreglass over the holes and bog over that to make it look good.

ROFLMAO !! Oh, to once again be young dumb and full of c.....

Nah, you'll be right. 16 is a great age to start playing around with cars, so when you're thirty you'll know heaps.

If you can, cut all the metal with rust on it right out, weld new metal in by doing 'spots' so you minmise the heat distortion, and bog over the top like panel-beaters do. Bog only really fails when its on rusty metal.

If the welding doesn't work, get rid of the rust with rustkill, then use fine fibreglass over the holes and bog over that to make it look good.

Allright cheers my brother xf streety which i fix the glass on which shouldnt be to hard, also our mate has a fibeglass business so I'm sure he will help me...

Also everyone surface rush? can i just sand it away or will it come back?

Thanks

yes just sand surface rust away, treat with rustkill if any evidence remains.

I think it needs to be stressed that fibreglass is not a good repair job, it is a half arsed effort at best, but will last a whole lot longer than bog.

Get your oxy out and fix it properly if you like the car and plan on keeping it.

Whenever i've had to do rust repair i've used one of 2 methods:

Obtain patch panel, cut, weldy weldy and use spot fillers and spray putty to sand smooth

Or

Fibreglass, Grind out and much of the rust and you can, fibreglass it from the front and back and finish it off with spot putty and spray putty to fill the dips and unever bits.

Toyota had a stupid idea to put a rubber strip behind the arch on ke70's, So it gets wet and sits there and rusts out your guards

hey all thanks for the info...

i have decided not to go down along the line of a respray and fixing the car as it needs srtuts diff gbox motor and heaps of other little shit we have ripped

off, I'm just going to buy a rolla and just chuck a 5k and 5 speed in cheers all again and sorry for wasting ur times :(