snot35

• 5 months later...
Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, this is still a thing.

Not much happened for a fair while. Winter comes, the family gets sick, started a business, stopped a business, and on and on.

But I got really sick of seeing the Red car (TEO).

It always bugged me a hell of a lot that I couldn't seem to get the dizzy in the right spot, so I set up a spare head on the bench and checked out the engagement to if I was just getting it plain wrong when installing.

What do you know, there was no physical way to install the dizzy and get it anywhere near base timing with the factory marks. A bit of internetting and I saw mention that the rotor and triggers are only a press fit on the shaft! Out came the big shifter and sure enough I was able to get it in the ball park. Back in the motor and she's alive! Awesome!!

Gave it a bit more of a tweak with the shifter in the car so that I had a nice range of adjustment and away we went, dial in the timing and she's actually idling pretty well.

I was still worried about the compression and also knew that it had a dodgy clutch so the next challenge was getting it up from the bottom of our steep driveway.

There was also the fuel pump and surge tank mounted in the engine bay as my fuel which wasn't ideal, so we were either going to go no where because of the clutch, catch fire, or actually make it.

It chose option three! Sweet!

Next up compression. I bought a can of upper engine cleaner to do the best I could without a rebuild, but after a few cycles she came up with 178,175,178,178. Nice! Ran some cleaner through it just to be sure but the more she runs, the sweeter she sounds.

The past few days have been prepping it for removal. Everything is off and tagged, the engine is actually out but I can't get quite enough clearance from the gearbox to actually remove it. Hopefully tonight and I'll get it out so the shell can be removed before the end of the week. Then on to cleaning and mounting all the RWD bits.

Finally, I'm a bit excited about it all!

• 2 months later...

And time marches on....

The motor is now out. It was all very ghetto with my jacking up the car and sliding the engine out from underneath on a gravel driveway with a slight slope.

No one died! Yay! I got sick of seeing TEO so I got stuck into it. I actually need to be able to get the other car out of the shed space to support some other home improvements so it was time to pull out the finger.

So TEO has gone.

Someone actually gave me $100 for it! It was a laugh watching those boys load it onto the trailer, they were dodgier than I am! Once again, no one died and we thank god for small mercys.

The block has been scrubbed and had some rust wire wheeled off. The flywheel is off as are all the front bits; balancer, water pump, cam belt and pulleys. She's cleaned up pretty nicely so I'll paint it shortly. I'm also planning to replace the front and rear seals while it's easy to do, then I'll paint it and put it back together. I put the alternator mount in the electro bath last night to clean that up. Checked this morning and it's come out pretty clean, so that will get some paint too. Still have engine mounts to do.

I bought a gasket kit along with some new flywheel bolts, so I'll be able to get it back together pretty easily with the Toda flywheel on. Had to make myself a flywheel locking tool with some flat plate, but that was pretty easy. Haven't fired up the MIG for a while!

About to head to Toyota to get some FIPG to do the sump.

There's something nice about a nice clean motor. And progress :)

Edited by snot35

Progressing. Block has been painted so it doesn't look so rubbish with rust and poor paint. Pretty happy with how it turned out. Alternator mount and right engine mount has been electrobathed and painted, also came out well.

I also managed to pick up a JDM distributor which I'm happy about. It means the TRD leads I have will route nicely and look good.

Next job is to finish getting the old gasket off of the rear seal carrier and the oil pump. F me it's stubborn! The seals in, put them back on and put the sump back on. I have two sumps to choose from, so I'll check the best and probably give the chosen one a coat of paint too. I might not too, fair chance it's going to get abused down there and I'm keen to keep momentum.

Got a tube of FIPG too, but I'm a bit nervous about using it as it's effing hot at the moment and it sounds like it goes off pretty quickly. I also soaked a heap of crud out of the oil pickup. Bottom of the motor seemed clean ish inside so I think it will be OK.

Oh, should also mention I picked up a T series diff a while back. No centre though. Will work that out once it's going, but thinking another locker on the cheap and a nice low ratio, 4.77, 5.1?!? It'll suck driving too and from events, but should launch like nothing else :)

Sump has been cleaned of old sealant. Didn't bother with paint. Oil pump as been painted though and new oil seals have been installed in the pump and rear carrier. Ready to put all that back on with new sealant. I'm hoping I get it all right.

Left side engine mount has had some paint too so we're moving along nicely.

Found that one engine mount rubber is nearly completely split, so another is on it's way for $30.

So the plan is to put sump, rear seal carrier and oil pump back on over the next few days. Then, lick of paint on the gearbox sandwich plate. Get that on, spigot bearing in and then flywheel on (got some new toyota bolts already). Bit of paint for the gearbox, bolt that onto the motor and think about shoving this thing in the car!

Oh, I want to paint the head too so it's purdy and will match the manifolds etc when they're cleaned up.

There's still a heap more cleaning and painting to do, but having it in the car will be a huge milestone so I'm pretty keen.

Edited by snot35

I think it may have been. I didn't pay too much attention to it all as I'm gathering parts but I'm pretty sure it was from the exhaust side. Same thing happened with the old motor.

So I woke up too early this morning and the family is still asleep so I took the opportunity to get the sump back on. Pretty easy job all up. I used the Toyota FIPG stuff on the sump and I have to say as long as it seals properly I'm a bit of a fan! Seemed to go on very well and is supposed to be awesome. I forgot to put loctite on the oil pump bolts though, so I'm hoping that doesn't come back to bite me. They were torqued up with a torque wrench though.

So it's now flipped over and onto the next job. I think I'll paint the head too. It's going to annoy me if I don't. And I have picture!!

post-3479-0-66637800-1453586886_thumb.jpg

This thing is becoming bad for my health! Too many late nights doing my best not to inhale paint and degreaser fumes :)

So I was digging around the spares collection and found another engine mount in near new condition, damn! So now I'll have a spare. There is slight cracking in one of them, so at least it's something I won't have to worry about fitting the better set.

I also dug out the clutch slave and gearbox. The slave is really grubby and rusty, so I might just grab another one of those, they're only $30-ish too.

The engine backing plate is fitted and the flywheel is also cleaned up but not yet mounted. I thought I had a spigot bearing but it turned out it was a 6201, not a 6001. You guessed it, on its way. $10 for an SKF so that's pretty good.

I also scrubbed the gearbox and painted it which is why I was up a little late. Plus, engine mount heat shields have been done and one of the engine/gearbox supports. Oh, and the clutch fork. I want to clean and paint the throw out bearing carrier too, so I'll try and get that done tonight. But realistically, we're pretty close to mating the engine and gearbox!

So next will be T/O carrier/snout. Clean and paint the head. Bolt on flywheel. Hopefully the spigot bearing isn't far off so we'll then do pressure plate and clutch, then gearbox. Then it will be on to cleaning and painting the water pump and all the water lines/outlets, mounting all the timing gear and covers, then into the car!

I tried to take a photo showing off the Toda flywheel, but it's crap. Seems work won't let me attach it anyway.

In digging around I also found that my extractors only have a 2" outlet, then bolt to a 2.25" de cat pipe. I was hoping for 2.25" all the way through, so that's a little disappointing. It's kind of good, 'cause I have an old 2" KE55 exhaust which I might chop up to create an exhaust for the '70, but I was hoping for 2.25" so I could really hear the 4AGE.

I'll worry about that long after the car is going...

Edited by snot35

Trying to pull myself through a bit of a can't be bothered phase at the moment.

F&%k wire wheeling and painting!

But I'll get over it. It's actually looking really good. I got the head painted so the block looks pretty good. I went to put the flywheel on and couldn't find the bolts. So turned over the shed and didn't get anywhere. I painted the T/O bearing carrier and put that in along with the fork, bearing and boot. I also painted the gearbox mount so the gearbox is ready to go on.

It came to me over night where the bolts might but, so I managed to find them this morning. I'll get the flywheel bolted up (new Toyota bolts) and then I'll just be waiting on the spigot bearing and I can put it all together. I had a look at the water pump and it's a bit rough. I'm temped to just get a new one, but I should really have a shot at cleaning it up.

But I'm over it! I'll pull through, maybe I'll take a night off :)

The engine did make it into the shed though, as it's going to rain over the next few days.

Edited by snot35