My Ke70 Weekend Play Thing

snot35

Week off :(

Sort of have a second job this week, so no time for anything. Barely had time to change the flat on my MTB before riding this morning. It's getting darker too, so I need to sort out lights so I can keep riding.

I did look at it though. Still really happy with how the motor has scrubbed up.

To do list is still:

Paint and clean proportioning valve

Paint and clean tie rods

Fix one end of the sway bar

Reinstall the brake lines and get the brakes going.

Really tempted to do new lines, but I intend to go to a dual MC setup at some stage so I might just live with it for now.

Hoping next week will be better.

• 2 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another week off! But I did a bit last night.

Proportioning valve is cleaned up an in. After much head scratching I managed to work out how to hook up the brakes too. Must remember to take more photos when pulling things apart. The lines are in though. They look terrible, but we'll worry about that later.

Tie rods are also in. They got a scrub, but no paint. I didn't have the key handy, so I still need to unlock the car so I can do a basic alignment. Sway bar is also fixed in.

I need to loop around that lot of work with the torque wrench to double check things, then fill it with some brake fluid and bleed it. Quick alignment and then back on it's wheels! It's only been a few years. Then on to putting in a 4AGE...

• 2 weeks later...

My helper. He's actually more stoked about the engine crane than the engine....

post-3479-0-28179300-1458371312_thumb.jpg

It's new home.

post-3479-0-03209800-1458371423_thumb.jpg

It went in reasonably well, considering I was doing it myself. I had to take the manifold off which was a little annoying, as I ended up trashing one of the gaskets, so that will have to be re done.

Otherwise it's all good. Misses needed the car, so I didn't get much more done. Had to get the engine crane back. So there's a fair list, bolt in the gearbox mount. Re do the gasket, wiring, fuel, etc. etc. etc!

Still, it's a milestone, I'm stoked :D

• 2 weeks later...

I've lost a lot of momentum since getting the motor and box in. Life is getting in the way.

I shall persist.

Last night I managed to get a session in. The motor wasn't actually bolted in, and the gearbox was held up by a jack, so I rectified that. Everything is bolted in, easy enough.

I also picked up a new clutch slave, so I gave that some paint just to help with longevity and also painted the fuel rail while I was there. I'm at the point where I really need to decide on what I'm going to do with the fuel system, so after getting the fuel rail on I'll look at that. It will be easier to sort out that with the manifold off than on. I also need to sort out the earths for the block. Gearbox is done, but head and block need doing. Easy enough, just need to pick the spots and give them a buff so there is good contact. I also picked up a silicone radiator hose set.

Plus, I have parts on the way from Japan! Picked up a HKS Legal cat back exhaust for cheap, plus a new shifter boot (the small one right above the ball and socket) and an AE86 throttle cable.

So there aren't many pices of the puzzle left, just have to put it together.

The to do list looks like this:

Clean injectors up, new o rings and install fuel rail.

Work out what I'm going to do with the fuel lines and filter

Engine and head earths

Radiator mounts and install hoses

Then onto getting it wired up and fired up!

• 2 weeks later...

So my first try and shipping things from Japan didn't quite turn out as well as hoped. The back muffler on the exhaust is flogged. Externally it looked good, internally it's rusted out and all the packing has fallen in, so it's useless. Not too big a deal, I'll grab another muffler and weld it on. I was hoping it was going to be a bolt on and go job, but it isn't to bed.

That, and the throttle cable isn't for an AE86. Who knows what it's for, but the bolt spacing is wrong, as is the length. Shifter boot is good though!

It's a bit irrelevant at the moment anyway, my spare time has just vanished with the second job. I hope that will calm down for a moment around the middle of next week, so I might get a little bit of time.

I picked up a double flare tool, so I should be able to sort out the fuel lines at least.

Decided on fuel system. I'm going to do it right and upgrade the lines to 8mm. It would bug me otherwise. I like the idea of as few a joins as possible, so rather than using adapters etc I'm going to do some new line under the car. 8mm feed and return, and just use a Z200 fuel filter to feed the fuel rail.

I've picked up the tube and filter already. Clamps on their way and I've got the bending and flaring tools ready to go.

Just need the time :)

• 3 weeks later...

There's a lul at the moment, so got into a few bits and pieces last night.

Started mounting the radiator which required some minor fab work. That's nearly finished but I needed just a little more time on the power tools to get it done and it was a bit late.

I also got the exhaust manifold on which took a little longer than I wanted. The front bolt was cross threading, so I ran a tap through it to fix that up. It's all on OK now, so I can get into that when I have a moment too.

I'm getting a bit anxious to get this thing going :/

Radiator is in and as worked out reasonably well. It's all hooked up so I can put some coolant in. I had to do a bit of wrangling as they're AE86 hoses onto an AE71 radiator. At the moment the bottom hose touches the alternator which I'm not happy about. I think if I get a shorter belt and move it in I might be OK. I'll put that on the list of things to do after it's running.

Oil filter is on, small job, but she's ready for oil :)

Clutch slave has also been mounted and hooked up, so that just needs some fluid and a bleed. I've also done the earths. I ended up doing two to the block as there was a earth wire handy already from the K motor and a bolt hole on the block that was perfect for it, so hopefully that will prevent any future hassle.

Next is really to get the manifold mounted. I'm annoyed with myself, I could have ordered a gasket from Toyota weeks ago that would have enabled me to finish all that but I baulked at the shipping time. I could have had it by now a few times over. I could still make a gasket, we'll see how time and enthusiasm runs.

I also need to pull out the fuel lines so I can make up my bigger line. I might as well enlarge the lines into the tank while I'm there.

I've also noticed the brake line to the front left is weeping, so I'll need to sort that out.

It's been a busy but productive day though, which makes me happy :)

Oh, and I fixed my air compressor. I ran it without oil and managed to seize it. Turns out it was just the rod so I gave the crank a clean up and put a new rod in. $5 on ebay including postage!

enlarge the lines into the tank

That will be interesting. The stock one is swaged into the disc that screws onto the tank, so you'll have to drill that out and enlarge it, then figure out how to seal the new line into the disc. All part of why I figured fitting the 8mm lines I had was just not worth it.

Mine is running fine on stock lines and stock rad, I'm just waiting on the engineer to do the paperwork before its really legal. The final jobs will be to fit a higher temp fan switch, the one thing I can't find at the wrecker and the 90deg one sets the fan off all the time, and I'll keep plugging away on the idle until it idles at all temperatures.

You'll love it when you're finally driving it!

Got some time tonight. Started looking into upgrading the fuel line before remembering I really don't like working under rally cars with all the dirt that drops in your eyes, hair, everywhere!

I think I'll just stick with the 6mm line, everyone seems to say it's OK. I also pulled out the old exhaust and put in the new. Looks pretty good :D

post-3479-0-82775100-1462456082_thumb.jpg

post-3479-0-95775200-1462456109_thumb.jpg

While I was there I tried out some other springs I had from an AE82 which I hoped would lower the rear of the car. Not to be unfortunately. They taper, so although they would theoretically lower the car, the taper fouls on the spring seat column and I think the ride height is the same.

I also worked out where I'm going to put the fuel filter, so that's all good to go. I started replacing the leaking brake pipe before bending it wrong and making it useless! I need to grab some more before I can continue with that one. I don't think I'll have a chance to do that until next week which is a bit annoying.

If I get a chance before that I'll make up a new intake manifold gasket so I can get that back together.

TRD LSD is tiny!

post-3479-0-92282000-1462456048_thumb.jpg