My Ke70 Weekend Play Thing

snot35

I probably should put up and update, because stuff has been happening. Slowly chipping away at it.

I got the motor apart. Head is warped and I had coolant that had dribbled into pretty much every cylinder. Also end head bolts were loose and middles were tight, which is consistent with how it warped. Motor and box are now out and I'm about to start pulling down the spare motor to check condition.

There is an event April 24th but I'm not sure I'll have the time to get everything done. I debated just whacking the motor in and praying, but given I intend to continue driving it to and from events I might play it a bit safer.

I also picked up a Wolf 2D and have been investigating fuel injection. I'm having trouble getting the Wolf to fire up though. It gets power but gives me a blank screen, so she may be a dud. It wasn't a lot of money, so I may just have to cop that one.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Wow, no updates for over a year. Time has been precious with two young boys. The 70 has been parked for quite some time. In that time though, I've come across a few bargains which has meant that I've changed direction.

The original plan was to refit a 4K and keep going. It would be the cheapest option. I even had the 4K ready to go. Of course, waiting in the wings is a bunch of stuff from an AE71 that I stripped, so there was always the temptation to go 4AGE.

Then a block came up. From a JDM AE86, for $300. It had been starved of oil and had chucked a rod, but came with everything, including a gearbox. I decided to grab it, so that the RWD conversion would be easy, I could just grab a FWD big port and swap it. Brought it home and found that it also had a Toda chromoly flywheel and 3 puck clutch on it. Score! So now I have a spare set of engine stays etc. and a spare gearbox. It seemed prudent to go down the 4AGE path.

The hunt then began. Eventually I scored a series 3 AE82 Seca with a red and black top in it. It currently doesn't start, but I've been assured that it does. It was a bit of a punt to grab a car that doesn't start, so I can't check engine condition, but it meant I got it for cheap.

So now work begins. It's going to be slow, I only seem to get into the shed on week nights after 9:30 and my use of power tools is a bit limited. I haven't been able to work out what's wrong with the Seca yet. There were some blown fuses which I replaced. All fuse able links seem fine and when there is power the EFI relays seem to clunk, but no dash lights and no start.

Over the past week I stripped the pedal box and started painting it to get the conversion going.

I also picked up a Bosch 070 on the weekend. All I need now apart from sundries is a radiator (still have the KE70, but it's pretty rough) and a lift pump.

Here's last nights effort etch primed. I'm not sure why these are bare metal from factory...

post-3479-0-61533800-1402446408_thumb.jpg

So, it's on like Donkey Kong! Last night was a productive night. Guards are off, cross member and most of the suspension is out and the engine bay is nearly stripped. Being a Khana car there is dirt everywhere and a bit of rust around the place that has always bugged me. The intention is to scrub it all, paint bits that need painting before putting in the 4AGE. I also took a bit of time to start familiarising myself with the KE70 wiring loom so that I can do a tidy install when the 4AGE goes in.

After the frenzy, this is what I'm left with:

post-3479-0-38579000-1403132621_thumb.jpg

Pedal box is also done, just needs assembly.

post-3479-0-52027100-1403132596_thumb.jpg

And just 'cause I could never find it when I searched, some pictures of the cross member, narrow mounts are for K motor, wide for A motor.

post-3479-0-00691100-1403132540_thumb.jpg

post-3479-0-32413600-1403132565_thumb.jpg

I'm also debating doing some seam welding while it's all apart. The only problem is the shed is a little close to the house, so I have to be judicious with the power tools when I work, which is at night when everyone is asleep. I'll work something out :)

Edited by snot35

I'll sort photos later, but pedal box is out. Brake master, booster, valve and lines are out. Bit of scrubbing has been done and it looks nicer. A few sundries are still attached to the front end, but they'll come off soon and I'll start sorting all the bolts etc. so they end up back in the right spots. It's so tempting to get carried away, but I'm trying to make sure the car gets back on the road sooner rather than later. It will still take a while. I am debating sourcing a new dash pad though, the old one is terrible. Trying not to get too carried away with tidying up the cockpit just yet. I need a session on the wire wheel before doing some painting, but I need to coordinate that with the wife. That sort of thing always takes longer :P

Edited by snot35

Dash came completely out last night so I could do a good job of aligning the pedal box. Took off a bit of the firewall tar that I couldn't get to previously, but it's still quite sticky, which is annoying! Now, onto drilling some holes and putting in the pedal box and doing the remainder of the tar :)

Pedal box mostly in, just need to get a hole saw of the right size to install the clutch slave. Clutch slave still needs painting though and I'm finding everything in my shed is rusting at the moment, so I'm rushing around trying to clean and oil everything :/

• 4 months later...

You're cruel! :)

I'm finding in between children, family sickness most of winter and work, I'm not getting much done.

All the tar is off of the firewall and I've given it a paint. Another quick coat and I'll put most of the dash back in.

I've also managed to get the donor car to turn over from being completely dead. It's not starting though, so I'll get into that on the weekend if only briefly. My missus has started freaking out about me using power tools of an evening as the shed is more or less under the house. Yet another hurdle!

I'm not going to pressure myself about the project though, or I'll end up hating the sight of it and it will get abandoned.

I may have picked up another piece o' crap that I can do khana's in while I build this thing....

The thing I really need it a baby sitter! :) My only real problem is time with a 1 and 3 year old boys. Still, they won't be this age forever and it's a bunch of fun :)

Still, last night I managed to get paint onto the firewall. I just need to plate the old clutch hole and then I'll put the dash back in. I'll get some pics when I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Old clutch hole filled, bogged and painted. Looks good from the engine bay side. OK from the interior side, but you can't see that with the dash in anyway.

I keep stopping to decide whether to do an OK job, or a really good job taking longer. At the moment I think I just want to get to some events as soon as possible so I'm not going to get carried away.

Pedal box is reassembled and installed. Clutch slave is in and some of the dash is back in. I'm still trying to remember where everything goes, but it seems simple enough.

Next I need to test whether my dodgy fix on the heater core is any good. If it's not I'll have to get it fixed or deleted.

Also trying to decide what to do with the dash pad. It's cracked and crap looking. I'd love to paint or flock it, but it may just go straight back in for the moment so I can concentrate on the engine bay.

I began cleaning up the brake master. It's all rusty and horrible looking, so I'll finish that off shortly so it can go in.

Tried to take a pic, but my phone was being a sh!t. Maybe next time.

I also need to work out where to run the ECU cabling.