Ae82 Gokai - It May As Well Be A Wife.

carbonboy

Members dont see this ad

Road trip was good, just a boring up-&-back run, I left at 00:30 on the Saturday & got home at 22:30 on the Sunday. Out of that 46 hours, I estimate that I spent roughly 40 of them in the drivers seat (slept in car at roadside stops, feet up on dash, quite comfy actually) & the odd thing is, I don't hate the car after it. :laff:

Like I said, big thumbs up to azza91, I may have only messaged him on the Friday afternoon... :lol:

• 4 months later...

I come back after a long break from RC to see that you're putting a 4AGE in BT.

I love this!

Watched some of those vids of you screaming it around too, looked awesome!

On the hunt for an AE82 to play with, you're my inspiration :)

What is next for Gokai?

Welcome back, I missed seeing your avatar around.

The 2A-C is fun, but it's not quite...umm...enough. I wanted to see what you can do with one, now I know & because of this, it's lifespan is limited. A 4A-C would drop in, but where's the fun in that? I got bitten by the motorsport bug, just a little bite though as I'm starting at the shallow end (in terms of cost/commitment) but damn it's fun. Glad you enjoyed the videos, I enjoy being able to post videos of me doing things that on the public roads would have me arrested, my licence removed & my car impounded (never mind killing others or myself).

Good luck with finding an '82, I hope you can find one without the usual rust spots being too bad! I know of a few AE9x's for sale, but if any AE82's come along I'll give you a heads up.

Gokai needs finishing (no $h1t), but with playing with BT there isn't the time nor money available. Once again being put on the back-burner but what's new?

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Moved this yet again, sorted a place to work on it all, looking forward to condensing a heap of space-consuming car parts into a functioning vehicle.

10365802_10152146599301943_4541240737441888443_n.jpg

Change of plans though, no more rollcage or turbocharged engine for Gokai. Keeping her a street car, the nice looking one compared to BT.

I'm still going to have a vehicle with those two things, but I'm thinking something along the lines of this, but cheaper.

caterham_small.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Since my welding caused a fair bit of distortion in the roof panel, I was beginning to run out of ideas as to what to do.

post-5437-0-79373100-1409303483_thumb.jpg

A random phone call asking if I was interested in an electric tilt/slide unit from an AE92 made that a bit easier. Scrapping the manual pop up option & am making this fit instead. Its size/shape allows me to cut out a lot of the distortion & it also braces the roof panel to reduce any flexing.

post-5437-0-14098400-1409303627_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers, it will be finished...eventually... :)

The Caterham was just a good photo, you're right about their prices! Something like it but cheaper, MUCH cheaper is my preference. Scoped out prices for a chassis minus engine/gearbox, not that bad really.

Back to Gokai, the AE92/3 sunroof isn't going to work. The roof panel supports are different between AE8x & AE9x, the AE82 ones will foul on the sunroofs installation & operation. Either that or the sunroof glass doesn't even come close to lining up with the existing hole.

**insert lots of swearing here**

Am seriously considering cutting the roof panel off & welding on one minus sunroof hole.

• 1 month later...

Time to make it a convertible! :lol:

Convertwincam?

Real easy to fit a roll cage now. You know you wanna.. :P

I know I want to, avoiding the temptation is.....difficult. But what I want this car to be has changed, the fact that the cage I would want in it would render it non-registerable helps somewhat.

Besides, I find the image of a TwinCam towing a trailer with a turbocharged open-wheeler on it quite appealing. :wink: