Ae82 Gokai - It May As Well Be A Wife.

carbonboy

Members dont see this ad

^ I don't know how the f**k I missed that yesterday, unsure if it had even fallen out at that stage. Either way, the gearbox came back off this morning.

post-5437-0-96860000-1343550292_thumb.jpg

Noticed the spring & felt glad I'd just gotten back from picking up a new clutch kit. Wasn't the master cylinder, lines, slave cylinder, fork or bearing...not much else left to replace. :)

post-5437-0-75100000-1343551237_thumb.jpg

Pressure plate surface was properly rooted.

post-5437-0-87924800-1343550156_thumb.jpg

post-5437-0-11229500-1343550478_thumb.jpg

As was the clutch plate, one wonders how an engine with so little power can do that to the metal plate. :lol:

post-5437-0-32616900-1343550558_thumb.jpg

post-5437-0-32391000-1343550572_thumb.jpg

Flywheel was okay, gave it a good clean & a rub with some emery cloth after the photo was taken. REALLY should have gotten it resurfaced.....but Sunday... :( Odds are the clutch will outlive the engine anywho.

post-5437-0-02779100-1343550852_thumb.jpg

New pressure plate.

post-5437-0-20840200-1343550698_thumb.jpg

New clutch plate.

post-5437-0-37556900-1343550709_thumb.jpg

Complete with uber-expensive clutch alignment tool, sanded down broom handle.

post-5437-0-41983000-1343550724_thumb.jpg

Bolted the whole lot back together in a new record time, bled the clutch fluid to be sure & went for a test drive. Have never known the clutch to feel this light! Does skidz courtesy of rain, happy chappy!

Now, where's that scotch.......

Why does every one speak so highly of this lift off oversteer? Mine is understeer prone unless I run semis up front and KU36 on the rear, but then its slides like a tofu delivery car... :P

I didn't say lift-off oversteer was a good thing (I've ended up facing the wrong way around a roundabout in the wet more than once), I just said it's there. It is a nice change from aforementioned understeer though. :P

that is a beauty............ that broom handle.... :thumbsup:

Cheers, it's served me well for the last 5 years or so, there's also another piece for my housemates Telstar. I bought a ~$60 clutch alignment tool, found it was f**king useless & returned it. :lol:

Well your suspension setup needs looking at, i don't experience any unless i really try to force it out of the car. it doesnt understeer either... ill have to take you for a spin one day.

If you mean BT's needs looking at.....you're kidding right? Sure, I'll look at it, as I pull it out & hurl it into the scrap bin! :lol:

Gokai's getting coilovers with all of the adjustable bits, so now I just need to befriend the local wheel guy to get a discount on alignments, so I can fiddle about & see what does what. Get it how I like it & leave it alone from there. :D

Gonna hold you to that offer to take me for a spin. :y:

i get almost no understeer, but have a touch of lift off oversteer. that could be due to having my rear swaybar set to hard, no front swaybar and ratshit, old, hard rear tyres

Adjustable rear swaybar? I hear you on the lack of a front one, could install one, but lazy. :)

When I was running the CS-X wheels, I'd get understeer the moment I touched the throttle pedal around a bend. Changed wheels & tyres, it's improved the situation quite a lot. It still happens (naturally) when too much throttle is applied around a corner, but takes more throttle to do so. Except the wheels themselves, the only things that changed to affect handling were the tyres & the alignment settings. :)

A good DIY wheel alignment method using two lengths of fishing line and two lengths of alloy tubing

DIY ITR Wheel Alignment Simple_Strings

But being one of "those" forums, you might have to sign up to see the pictures.

Have a google for "Simple Strings" or "SmartStrings"

And to complete the Do It Yourself alignment

Hands free Camber Gauge

From the instructables.com

• 1 month later...

It's been a while... I probably should have a seperate thread for the daily, but it only gets worked on when something breaks & I can't be arsed moving the BT related content over. Besides, it's become so engrossed in this whole saga it wouldn't feel right.

Anywho, wanting to get a taste for motorsport, I took up an opportunity to drive in a tarmac motorkhana organised by TCCAV. It was a non-timed event, which was good as there was no pressure & the only things to worry about were the state of the car & not crashing. Which I did after several losses of control, but for me finding the limit of what my car & myself could handle was the point of the day. Luckily there is just a small dent in the rear passenger door from a signpost, which someone put back into the ground for me. Thankyou!

A few photos of the day can be found here: http://www.rollaclub...ar/page__st__75

Yesterday I noticed that the brakes weren't feeling right, so I gave the system a flush & fluid change. Pedal feel & stopping ability was better, but on the way home I started getting weird pulses through the pedal under moderate braking. Kind of like ABS, but, obviously not. It comes & goes a little, not rhythmic like a warped disc would be. Car's up on stands, about to discover what's up (read: how expensive this will be).

Before the suggested TC brake upgrade comes along, I have TC struts laying around somewhere but CBF changing hubs. :P

Edit: I also have some bits for Gokai on the way, so progress has recommenced on that front too!

Edited by carbonboy

Well, my wreckers run was successful! Found a set of front discs & rear drums from an AE82 hatch that were in very decent condition. I think I know the cause behind the strange feeling in the brakes, the discs were worn under the minimum thickness (12.5mm), the drums just over maximum diameter (201mm) & all the pads/shoes had borderline minimum material thickness (1.0mm) left on them. Lesson learned on how hard trackdays are on parts compared to normal driving. :)

Replaced the lot in between rain & hail sessions, bled the system again & bedded the brakes in this morning. I have stopping ability again! :D