February 23, 201115 yr comment_505314 Alright, this is what I have to work with. -have an '81 TE72 4door that's automatic but has super low mileage on the stock 3TC -have a Holley 5200 carb which is basically a 32/36 Weber, just need a manifold adapter for the 3TC -have a set of 40mm Mikunis but need a manifold for either 4AG/3TC -have full 4age conversion from my GTS donor w/ cams and other upgrades -have 3TC 5spd manual parts As I mentioned, I have zero to no time at the moment but feel I need to do one of these things to keep my sanity. Time frame is limited to a weekend with help from potentially one or two friends if our scheds match up. At the moment, I'm dying from driving with an autotragic transmission, luckily this isn't my daily. My original plan was to 5spd the 3TC for now but then I thought, tossing in a carbed 4AG wouldn't be that much more work. I know a bunch of friends are happily revving stock 3TCs like there is no tomorrow but my end goal involves a G head. I have most of everything for each option but can't decide so please, put me out of my misery and give me your 2 cents worth!!! ;) Please provide explanation with your choice. Thx! Edited February 23, 201115 yr by daCoupe Report
February 23, 201115 yr comment_505325 Put the manual in it, if it still doesn't appeal to you then stick the 4ag in it. Report
February 23, 201115 yr comment_505329 Put the manual in it, if it still doesn't appeal to you then stick the 4ag in it. this id probably do the 4age conversion from your doner car since it has cams and other upgrades not to mention EFI over carby, newer engine etc. If you have it there why not? Report
February 23, 201115 yr comment_505339 Do you want to drive it or are you happy for it to languish in the garage for a few years in pieces? Like my Datsun 1600 that was last registered in 2001 !! Do the manual conversion and the Holley, & drive it for the rest of the year while you get the 4AGE fully sorted and ready to drop in. When you have holidays you hit the 4AGE conversion. Report
February 24, 201115 yr Author comment_505399 I 'might' have more than just a weekend to complete whatever option I end up choosing, so I can spread this over a couple of weekends worst case. And before you ask, due to a new addition to the family, the majority of my time is now spent with the little man instead of the hobby which is a-ok with me! If a 3TC really wakes up when mated to a 5spd and I'm satisfied with it, I could tuck away my 4AGE parts for a rainy day but I have a feeling I will be disappointed with a mostly stock 3T. Sure worked over 3T's make gobs of power but that involves money that I don't intend on spending with this option. I'm sure most of you know the benefits of going 4AGE (EFI, R&P steering, disc brakes...etc) and honestly, I should just do it but will have to sort out a few things first such as maintenance and wiring. Anyway, thanks for the feedback thus far. I'm looking forward to getting this done in the near future! Report
February 24, 201115 yr comment_505562 If time is always going to be a problem then go for the 4age efi. There is less maintenance with an efi engine (no carbs to tune for one). It will take longer to install the 4age but you will get that time back with trouble free running and will save money with less fuel cosumption. Report
February 24, 201115 yr comment_505595 Are EFi swaps really like that?? I figure that they needs all sorts of sensors and computers and wiring that won't be in an older car so you spend months hunting down odd problems that may not have occurred in the original EFi car. Seems that way with the Altezzas, but they're trying to keep the climate control running and the other peripherals and end up blending two computers. I wouldn't really know, having never fitted EFi. Any ideas from you guys that have done it?? Report
February 25, 201115 yr comment_505813 If you've got yourself ahold of a wiring loom to go with the 4AGE engine it makes slotting it in that much easier. The main ecu is the only computer in the system so it'd just be the EFI specific sensors you'd need to install(pocketable items from local wreckers :wink: ). If you were me (or I was you) I'd be going with the doable-in-a-limited-timeframe option & manualise/bigger carb the 3TC. Get the joy you can from it & if the urge is still there slam in the 4AGE. Oh, for the love of all that is Toyota, PLEASE don't put carbs on a 4AGE!!! :sob: Edited February 25, 201115 yr by carbonboy Report
February 27, 201115 yr Author comment_506071 I have everything to do a complete GTS conversion which includes all harnesses, fuseboxes, relays, sensors...you name it, I've got it. Wiring will be the biggest job but I've got friends who can help eliminate the non-essentials etc. And what is so wrong about running a carbed 4AG? Regarding my car, it was supposed to go in to commence restoration however the snow/ice from this week's snow storm has delayed my grand plans. Oh well, patience is a virtue right? ;) Report
February 27, 201115 yr comment_506079 Besides the general impression of going backwards technology-wise: http://www.toysport.com/Technical%20Information/4ag_tech_notes.htm http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/8422/4age/htm?20087 Report
March 1, 201115 yr Author comment_506606 Besides the general impression of going backwards technology-wise: http://www.toysport.com/Technical%20Information/4ag_tech_notes.htm http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/8422/4age/htm?20087 2nd link is dead and are you serious about Toysport because last I checked, they are so behind the times it's not worth the bandwidth. I mean seriously, it blows me away that they don't recommend building a 7AG when there are a bunch on the roads making respectable power. Thanks for your opinion but I know lots of carbed vehicles that scream and aren't terribly difficult to tune. Anyway, thanks for all the comments. Report
March 1, 201115 yr comment_506752 -have full 4age conversion from my GTS donor w/ cams and other upgrades . Thx! If your "gts" is rwd the 4age convertion should be fairly simple and reliable ,if you keep it stockish Report
March 10, 201115 yr Author comment_509136 If your "gts" is rwd the 4age convertion should be fairly simple and reliable ,if you keep it stockish Yep, my swapped SR5 has full running gear off a RWD Corolla GTS so hopefully it will be fairly straight forward except for the auto to manual conversion and wiring. I plan on doing a detailed write up on my FB page and an abbreviated version here. BTW, my car is headed for the shop after work today to begin the restoration phase...can't wait! ;) Cheers! Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now