Dumping My Ke70

mgsmith

hey guys, i just recently threw on a set of 14x6 superlites on my 1982 ke70, which went on a treat

now I'm keen to lower her but worried about going overboard, theres a good 50mm clearance on the backs at the moment and pretty similar up front,

i don't wanna flare the gaurds or create any camber if possible

if anyones had any experience with this it would be awesome to hear from ya

cheers guys

Members dont see this ad

go get some lowered king springs from any automotive shop e.g. autobarn, supercheap, bursons, repco

either that or get a grinder and cut half a coil of each spring til your happy with how it's sitting

I took the springs out of another car, which make mine 60cm front and rear on stock 13" tyres. I 'm pretty sure they're just cut stock springs, and the ride is quite firm with them. That is measured from the ground to the highest point of the arch, and it doesn't look lowered particularly, unless you see it beside a stock KE70 and realise how high the rear usually is..

If you're gonna chop your springs you'll get done no matter how 'low' it is.

Talk to a suss shop.

Rear shocks aren't a problem in the short variety for the rears along with lower springs.

The front shocks however are impossible to get short shocks for. Though springs wont be a problem.

If you want to get serious upgrade to AE86 or xt130 corona struts for better shock selection.

If you are gonna do the chop, you can always take them out and paint them, so they look after market.

I did this and they look ok, along with painting up the shocks. I did wire mine in as I don't have short shocks (till tomorrow anyway).

IMAG0248.jpg

IMAG0252.jpg

Doing it all legal is always the better option. I am just poor.

in my old 70 i had ford au rear springs cut down to bout 3 coils with sierra shocks and super low kings cut down as much and the ride was super stiff and i never got pulled up. i had 15x7s and had no dramas. u may have to lip the inner of the guard with a dolly tho. and in my opinion for looks, as low as possible always looks good. :laff:

Also dpends a bit what the car looks like. if youve got a good nick Ke with nothing too suss like mass camber on the front or huge offset,

you can easy get away with the wheels just tucking the guards. If you spray it matt black, have rust, dents drift stickers and all other sorts of defect magnets,

thats where youll run into trouble.

If you put commodore wagon rear shocks in cut rear springs will stay perfectly captive, technically it's illegal to cut springs, but anyone who's played with KE's know if you have commo shocks it's as safe as factory with full height springs.

Rear Kings are fine, but the fronts are a bit soft IMO, unless they're custom ordered. They're low height standard weight spring.

$300 Otomoto weld on coilover kit, is the path I'm going on my corona struts, can be had in any spring weight.

What you do just depends on if your looking for looks, or handling I guess.

Also dpends a bit what the car looks like. if youve got a good nick Ke with nothing too suss like mass camber on the front or huge offset,

you can easy get away with the wheels just tucking the guards. If you spray it matt black, have rust, dents drift stickers and all other sorts of defect magnets,

thats where youll run into trouble.

:hmm:

IMAG0200.jpg

:| all this cut spring talk will awaken the mods. mr dwaft especially

Personally I think trying to talk someone into doing it right is the best option here. Cut springs are a reality, we've all done it.

Information on better options is something we can hope sways people away from it.

:| all this cut spring talk will awaken the mods. mr dwaft especially

Agreed yes and any money they have already looked over the thread thouroughly and found that we are saying that you can do it like that, OR spend the money and do it properly instead of cheapest is best, hey wait we drive corolla's hahahaha :P

and BEERHEAD, I have had king lows in the front of my old ke and they were plenty stiff enough to crush my spine on a bigish bump :P but thats how i roll

Just remember kids, the :fuzz: love ke70's