Ke70 4K Overheating Troubles

benny1991

Hey guys,

As the title states, I am having some issues with my ke70 overheating. Mainly on the highway the temp will just jump up pretty quick. Around town it usually sits around 1/3 to 1/2 on the temp guage. It is just a bog stock 4k, have replaced the water pump but with not much change in what is happening. It has a restrictor in it instead of a thermostat ( basically a gutted out thermostat), all new coolant etc. Block and radiator have been flushed and are all clean, it's just really starting to annoy me!

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Ben

Members dont see this ad

Park your car on an angle with the nose higher than the rear, take off radiator cap start, and make sure there are no air bubbles in the system.

Make sure your heater is on maximum and hot.

Or reverse flush the system. It may have a clog.

G`day mate, I suggest that you put a thermostat back in the engine. Even though you are running a restrictor, the coolant will not be slowed down enough to be able to cool properly in the radiator. For some strange reason whenever someone has a cooling problem the poor old thermostat gets the blame. The engine was designed to have one, so spend a few bucks and just put one back in.

If by chance that doesn`t fix the problem, at least you will have eliminated one more possibility.

Cheers.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

As the title states, I am having some issues with my ke70 overheating. Mainly on the highway the temp will just jump up pretty quick. Around town it usually sits around 1/3 to 1/2 on the temp guage. It is just a bog stock 4k, have replaced the water pump but with not much change in what is happening. It has a restrictor in it instead of a thermostat ( basically a gutted out thermostat), all new coolant etc. Block and radiator have been flushed and are all clean, it's just really starting to annoy me!

Cheers, Ben

I'm also having this problem at the moment. Have you figured out what was the problem? I switched my 4k recently to a much better running one and motor runs sweat but seems to overheat more than the old crappy 4k i had in it before on highways.

Hey guys,

Cheers, Ben

I'm also having this problem at the moment. Have you figured out what was the problem? I switched my 4k recently to a much better running one and motor runs sweat but seems to overheat more than the old crappy 4k i had in it before on highways.

Generally when cars sit around for a long time with shit coolant/water in them they block up water galleries etc.

Sadly true-

Maybe this is why mine never overheats... While I had the head off I cleaned out the water jackets with a screwdriver and a bit of #8 wire. I was amazed at the amount of stuff that came out, and how it bridged the jackets and blocked them up. I never took the pistons out, so the block was never dipped.

post-7544-0-57981500-1351158465_thumb.jpg

Sadly true-

Maybe this is why mine never overheats... While I had the head off I cleaned out the water jackets with a screwdriver and a bit of #8 wire. I was amazed at the amount of stuff that came out, and how it bridged the jackets and blocked them up. I never took the pistons out, so the block was never dipped.

lol that's nothing, wish I would of taken pictures of my 4age smallport, when we took the head off the passages were pretty much completely blocked and we were there for a whole day with all sorts of electric tools cleaning them out, screw driver didn't even make a dent. Engine ran great after haha.

but yah it's defiantly a possibility, if you have a spare head gasket and torque wrench might as well pull the head off and have a look, at leas then you can rule that out.