Neila "big Bad Orange" Ke70

dpb

Members dont see this ad

Just a query, any particular reason you opted for the CA motor,

Nothing against them at all, just an SR is an all alloy motor, and easier to put in IMO,

I know the CA like the FJ can take more boost being an iron block

isnt the ca almost bolt in?

I have heard this twice, correct in some ways

went to Justins and had a look at his (at the time) and although one side matches up, the other did not

The cast engine block mount can be replicated to suit, but is a pain to get all the angles and required strength

whereas the SR block mounts are steel plates, you can trim them and reweld the base plate to the desired angle to suit

I cut the mounts off the crossmember and had angled plates made, that provide alot of strength against crossmember and used the sivia mounts

I have heard that someone on the forum has this done yes, i have not seen it or got pics, i could be wrong tho, i have not attempted this conversion with any car, so can't really say, but going off the above, be inclined to say not quite at this stage

reason I'm goin CA is I'm geting complete motor and accessories for free and there more readily available. Id love an SR for sure but out of my budget. I'm hoping that some1 makes pre fabbed mounts to save the headache.

Edited by dpb

reason I'm goin CA is I'm geting complete motor and accessories for free and there more readily available. Id love an SR for sure but out of my budget. I'm hoping that some1 makes pre fabbed mounts to save the headache.

All good mate,

And for free can't complain,

Keep us updated tho

This would be my input, as i have passed this on before,

Not in the car, on the floor, get a KE70 crossmember as a spare, have it sit under the CA motor minus the CA engine block mounts where you want the motor to sit, obviously as close as possible to avoid bonnet clearance

Use whatever engine mounts, id suggest Ford Cortina 250 Crossflow mounts

Get some cardboard, trace the bolt holes from the CA block mounts, and make sure that it will be a square piece of cardboard, measure and have angled pieces of cardboard that will meet up to the engine mounts, as two rails that attach to a base plate,

have these 4 peices made in 3mm mild steel, and welded with the respective holes and that should bolt up to the 70 crossmember

as for the crossmember, if you have the CA box member, cut the side plates off as it will need to be spaced, once located, new plates made and should mount on the corolla stock box mounts under the body

This is one method, don't know if it helps either,

but once you got those mounts made up, your halfway there

This is one method of doing the conversion, feel free to criticise too

ok so i managed to kill the 4k a little earlier than i planned so iv picked up a 5k to get me though till iv got the ca18 conversion sorted. thanks to nathan (RIDDLA) for driving me around and emotional suport when the po po tried to impound my mums car (vx commodore) for aparently drifting..dude its a single pegger with directoional tyres on a wet road..anywho will be pulling the 4k out tomorow after work and geting the 5k ready to drop in along with a weber to hang off the side =D