Ke55 Drift Car

dbr11k

now i know i am going to come across as a noob, but has this actually ever been done? i have searched youtube and the net and haven't found any decent videos or discussions on it.

i know that leaf springs are not going to do me any favors but i recently acquired a nice little ke55 as a daily driver, i have owned many ke70/ae71's and they are so easy to modify for drift. i also realise that the main thing i will need is power but i am a big believer in suspension and brakes before power. later on in time i'm going to do a ca18 conversion but until than i want to do as much as i can to make the rear end stiff, what could be done easily? i'm not very familiar with leafs. how do i get the leaves stiff but with good spring rate without gettin them reset (i live in a rural area) maybe make custom mounts for an ae71 sway bar? are the diffs strong enough to take the constant abuse of drifting? also ive heard something about r31 diffs, difficult?

and please do go easy on me i have used the search bar on this site.

Members dont see this ad

Like I said on the last one for mr KE30 drifter, replace every bush bigger or a rear swaybar (don't worrie about the front if your drifting) Leaf springs can be set up very well if done properly but will need to take the car somewhere to get new custom springs made which shouldn't cost too much, get some coilovers in the front then engine time.

Seriously look up on Google what people do to make a car drift its not all that hard to understand.

i understand how to make a car stiff for drifting etc .. As i said ive done a heap of ae71's before ive just never dealt with leafs before.. I have a pair of ae86 struts with corona lower control arms and roll centre adjusters that i am going to try and fit up, ive read a fair bit on that subject and got a lot of mixed answers, but i guess there is only one way to find out! As i said before i live in a rural are, the nearest place to get custom springs made or my original ones reset would be about 2 and a bit hours away, so I'm sort of just after an easy way out for the time being..

The only real way to get the leaves stiffer besides reseting them is to add afew into the pack and a better shocky, lloyd smith had a ke30/55 with a ca18 as his 1st drifter I think, so it has been done,

On the diff side of things, an r31 diff will need to be shortened and the mounts taken off and ke ones put back on, then you can go nuts with with power :)

i knew i would cop people telling me to buy an s13 etc, but ive also owned one and yes they are easy to mod and parts are easier to find, but i do like to be different and love the shape of ke55's .. that and at the moment i don't just have the money to go out and buy another car.. the car has flipped leafs in it at the moment and the ride is just terrible.. people who sit in the back seat say they feel like they are going to go through the roof when i hit a bump..

Well the only other way is to get a new leafs made up custom so its stiffer and some better rear shocks, replace bushes its really not that hard to work it out, or if your good with a welder convert to coil sprung rear end, but by the type of questions your asking I wouldn't think so.

the car has flipped leafs in it at the moment and the ride is just terrible.. people who sit in the back seat say they feel like they are going to go through the roof when i hit a bump..

What? you want a drifter which means stiff ride. :laff: Also I wouldn't advise drifting with people in the back either. Added weight and they always complain. But seriously trying to make your daily driver into a drift car is silly.

OT:Keep your leaves flipped and add a few(2-3) extra ones into the pack above or below leaves of the same length. Stiffer shocks can be had from AJPS for 175 a pair posted, ke70/86 rear shocks will fit. New bushes which you already have. If you don't want to spend heaps on coil overs I suggest you purchase an otomoto weld on coil over sleeve kit, they are compatible with your existing struts and use your skills as a boilermaker to weld them on. Lock your diff, adjust your handbrake/take the button out. Get a better wheel to steer with. Put on the skinniest tyres you can find and hey presto you're drifting. Use with rain and/or dirt road for maximum results. Don't forget your helmet to protect that noggin of yours.

please note: I do not support this behaviour. You live out in woop woop so if you crash your daily/drifter you'll have no mode of transport.

Edited by Crowie55