Electric Fan

KE70PWR

Members dont see this ad

any electric fan that will fit flush up against the core is fine.

If you want to do it properly, you should probably set up a thermo switch. A switch that tells the fan to go on when it reaches the desired temperature.

Or you can do it the super easy way, but more annoying in the long run, a flip switch on the dash somewhere to turn it on and off.

The thermo is better, as it switches on automatically when the engine gets hot. I'd recommend this way.

The switch is easier to install, but you have to look at the temperature gauge all the time, and if you forget, your engine dies.

yeah i will do it with the thermo switch for sure just need to find a fan might even try to find a bigger radiator with one on it as i have done a few mods and will prob go forces induction very soon so all the cooling i can get the better i think

any ideas what bigger radiators fit at all???

yeah i will do it with the thermo switch for sure just need to find a fan might even try to find a bigger radiator with one on it as i have done a few mods and will prob go forces induction very soon so all the cooling i can get the better i think

any ideas what bigger radiators fit at all???

Depends what engine?

Excel radiators seem to be the go especially for a 4age, if you get one from an excel with air con, you get 2 fans with matching shroud. Should be able to get the thermo switch too if you're lucky.

K radiator should be fine for a blown k motor. 1 fan should be suffice.

Depends how good you want the build to be really. If you're going all out with custom everything, might aswell get a radiator built to suit :yes:

Hope this helps. :y:

Edited by bAKER

Davies craig aftermarket thermo with either plumb in switch

into radiator hose or brazed into radiator itself.

Tridon catalogue for thermo switch fittings and temps or

ebay for plumb in one (usually adjustable) but more expensive.

Measure up your radiator. Go to wreckers and find something that will fit. May need to make up a custom mount depending on the design of the fan.

Had on on my KE35 that was designed for a much bigger motor. The old man had used it to cool his 307 Chev. When it kicked in you could watch the temp guage drop.

Ran a much smaller one on my KE20, from a Laser or something similar. Used to cool the 5k ok even without the engine fan.

I run a 10 inch Davies Craig on my ke15, it pushes a ridiculous amount of air but damn it works well.

ive got a 10" supercheap jobby, and does the job.

however if i was to do it again, i would go to the wreckers and find an electric fan off a FWD car and adapt it to work.

OEM fans genrally have bigger blades, so they can spin slower and move just as much air. they also come with an AWEOMSE shroud which helps alot to keep things cool.

all FWDs have like an "opposite" ground switch on them. so if the switch fails, the fan just stays on. like a safety measure.

so what i suggest you do is:

-measure ke70 radiator, and measure how much clearance you have between the engine and radiator (with oem fan removed)

-go to wreckers with this information, and crawl through the early FWD section (early mazda 323's, corollas, hondas) find something that will fit.

-remove fan, take fan over to ke70 section of wreckers and try and fit it, or at least make sure its going to fit.

-either find thermo switch in the car you removed the fan from or:

-crawl through the tridon catalogue and find a switch that suits your needs, one that say turns on at 90degC, turns off at 80degC. (or so, check the stats on the ke70 thermostat and design accordingly)

-make sure tridon switch will screw somewhere into ke70 cooling system, might need to be creative here.

-wire it all up with a relay, making sure that you set it up in such a way that if the thermo switch dies (or wire is unplugged), the fan stays on

(http://www.tridon.com.au/Products/Product.aspx?SG=8&S=35&G=483&P=2014)

final step, enjoy your newly found 2kw of power!

Problem with most factory fans dave (trust me I went through every car at the wrecker) is that they are large, their mounting brackets are a pain to adapt to (often the don't bolt to a single plane) and they're monodirectional, so you need to find the correct direction fan to suit your application.

Yes, I know, reverse polarity, sure to all you butchers out there! haha. Davies craig units are designed so you can reverse the polarity and also flip the blade so you get clean, efficient air flow.

Also, the fail off/fail on scenario varies car to car, Toyota in general are fail on switches, to set it up you will need the correct switch and an extra relay in the circuit.

There's a good thread on Toymods (by fellow RC member the Witzl) with diagrams for the two different setups, see here

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?95-Guide-How-to-wire-up-thermofans

and if you want a switch, go through the Tridon online parts catalogue to find the one you want.

Actually I just found a scan from the Tridon cattledog on Toymods also, this will be the best way to select the right switch for the application

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?5125-Tridon-Thermo-Fan-Switch-Catalogue

Edited by philbey

hmm good point.

how does the dave craig fan mount to the radiator though? just through the fins? thats how my dodgy supercheap fan is mounted, and its certainly not ideal.

my housemate got some fans of a BA falcon i think, two huge things, mounted them to his monster radiator in his cefiro. quite low profile too. looked like you could seperate them down the centre, and i reckon 1 fan would be enough for a small k radiator.

I wouldnt bother with second hand especially regarding the whole push/pull

reversing which might not be possible and it being old and having to remount it

somehow and doing the relay and wiring, at least the universal ones can be mounted

easily and come with all the hardware for install and mounting except thermo switch setup.

Important though, the universal radiator mount method is a poor design.

Make some brackets up to mount to the car then mount the fan through

these if you can, the fan shroud must be up flush with the radiator though

which makes this difficult for the bolts to be installed.

OR

Mount the fan through the brackets you made up and through the radiator

at least this takes the loading off the fins/tubes and onto the brackets

all while being easy to install and bolt up.