Hotdog Muffler

rollake70

Members dont see this ad

hay guys I'm going to go a lil of topic

But i was wandering with sport exhousts

Can you get different setups if you wanted a low drone to a higher pitched drone ccan you get much control with just changing the pipes muffler cat extractorrs

The resonator under the pasenger's floor takes the harshness out of the sound and stops it backfiring when you lift off. Being a straight-through it doesn't quieten it much at all. The story used to be that if you didn't run one you burnt exhaust valves.

I run a 2" one, as the extractors are 2" on their exxit. From there I use an inch & 3/4 pipe to a sports muffler, one of the tri-chambered ones. They quieten much more than a hotdog, but still flow really well compared to a factory-type muffler. If you change that muffler you change the sound.

The guy who did it for me said he fitted that one to get a nice crackle on over-run, like an MG-B, as it suits the ol'skool car....

I love it! Nice and growly and I can drive it for 4hours without a problem.

try this-

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Giant-Muffler-Comparison-Detailed-Test-Results/A_0383/article.html

Edited by altezzaclub

the resonator stops.....funnily enough...resonance! as well as removing that annoying "raspy" noise.

on my engine (Stocko 4age), i had a single resonator out to a straight through muffler.

it was a bit loud for my liking, so i got the brilliant idea to replace the resonator with another muffler.

it was quiet...except for 2300,3300rpm, 5200rpm (approx)

why is this? RESONANCE.

ive not got it changed back, luckily i don't drive it much, but it is the suck. crazy vibrations through the whole car at those specifc RPM's.

turns out i had my cam timing wrong, which was why exhaust was too loud, so with the correct cam timing the exhaust is a bit quiet....so ill get that resonator swapped back in one day....

to the op: just go to an exhaust shop, get them to replace your whole system with a 1.75", resonator in the middle, and a "huricane" straight through muffler at the end (simliar to that tri thing altezza is on about). prolly cost 200bucks.

it will be welded properly, and you wont ever have to touch your exhaust again;)

• 1 month later...

re: the idle. hot day, bit of choke and got it to misfire. my exhaust is just stock manifold, stock resonator and a 2in pipe out the side. still get a fairly raspy sound but none of the resonance frequency problems that ke70dave had with his car. then again, my car is loud all the time. i'll have to get some fly past videos on the move stuff so you can hear it under load.

Varex Muffler - enough said.

Has a valve so you can set it to straight through or direct the flow to the outer chambers so its "street legal".

Not cheap though!

Funny thing about these is, you can make it quiet to make it street legal, but having the adjustable exhaust itself is illegal. Silly things cars aye.