Rust Help

Fabz

Hey guys.

I was outside with the rolla tonight and found little rust spots around the door hinges where the bolt on to the body.

There are some little holes where the rust has gone through?

What options do I have?

Can I just hit it with the grinder and leave it as it because it will get covered or will I need to bog of fibreglass it??

Any help will be appreciates.

Cheers Fabz

Members dont see this ad

Could just be surface rust, or more underneath, so grab a wire wheel as suggested or grinder if your clever with one and see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

DO NOT leave bare metal exposed for any length of time greater than a few hours, especially now its winter, as it will start rusting again almost immediately.

Temp fix could be to sand back, hit with rust killer (some come as primers so when they dry you can sand a bit and paint or just leave them as is) and cover with primer and some touch up paint.

Time, money and effort/motivation will be your main factors :)

hope that helped

Yeah the door is off already so I can get to it pretty easy!!

A lot of it's surface rust. But there are parts where it's atarted to go through. If i hack at it with a wire brush there's a possibility that it was all open up as we probably all no.

Is this rust killer with touch up paint the the only method realistically speaking?

the only real way to repair rust is to cut out a big enough chunk of steel to remove all the rusted areas, and weld in a new bit of steel. grind the welds back and you may need to use a very small amount of body filler to get exactly the right shape, then paint it all.

any other form of repair (fiberglass, patches, rust converter, paint) is only delaying the inevitable.

these methods are ok as long as you are aware that you haven't actually fixed the problem, just slowed it down. (assuming the rusted area isn't a structural area (ie chassis rails), in which case, you need to repair it properly)

remember that body filler (bog) is like a sponge to water. so any filler that is exposed to air will just soak up water, and if the filler is on steel it will just rust away the steel. So make sure if you use body filler that you don't use it to fill up holes, as the exposed body filler on the inside will just attract water, and rust your car from the inside out!

So what all you guys are saying is I need to cut it out then weld some back in??

If that's my only choice to properly fox it. Where do I start when buying a welder?

Thanks heaps

beg. borrow steal or hire.... once you have done the first project you will be in a much better position to know what you need to buy.

...and find a mate who can already weld to teach you how to. I'm sure there's a Rollaclub member in Melb who will give you a hand.

Its a skill you never forget and it is amazing how often you use it to make up odd tools and things around the house. I've used gas welding all my life, but I can see that the new electric wire-feed welders do a better job, so start with them.

This thread shows how to repair rust correctly,

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/52360-matts-55/

I understand not everyone has a welder, but anything less is crap.

So if you don't have a welder simply clean it up as above, and seal it with something until you can find someone to do it properly.

So what all you guys are saying is I need to cut it out then weld some back in??

If that's my only choice to properly fox it. Where do I start when buying a welder?

Thanks heaps

beg. borrow steal or hire.... once you have done the first project you will be in a much better position to know what you need to buy.

...and find a mate who can already weld to teach you how to. I'm sure there's a Rollaclub member in Melb who will give you a hand.

Its a skill you never forget and it is amazing how often you use it to make up odd tools and things around the house. I've used gas welding all my life, but I can see that the new electric wire-feed welders do a better job, so start with them.

whats beg??

yeah i think i really need a welder with my rolla

ok sweet, i see what needs to be done, so i can't just go out, buy a welder and start using it, is that what you guys are all saying??

so even for little rust holes i should be cutting out the metal??

cheers