Control Arms

cerby

Hey everyone.

So heres the deal, I'm getting my ae71 engineered and the limit for track increase is 25mm. I am WAY over that due to close to zero offset wheels, 5mm spacers (which I forgot to take out) and xt130 corona arms (which by my maths should give me 20mm extra track). So in order to pass i have to loose some track, obviously spacers go, thats 10mm, then I change my control arms back to stock (thats 30mm all up) Now problem is I still need to loose another 10 to 15mm more!!!

I can't change my wheels cos a) big brakes b) I don't have money to spend on high positive off set wheels c) those high positive offset wheels would probably hit my coilovers anyway. d)I want the larger rim size to be modplated so I can tell the whoppers to go f@$k themselves when they complain hahah.

So this leaves me with one more option, get shorter than standard control arms.

Now I swear I remember hearing about a set which would fit an ae71 that were 10mm shorter than standard, in fact I'm sure I remember seeing a little list of the arms written up somewhere.

So what I am asking is, Does anyone know what arms fit an ae71 and are shorter than standard?

Note: yes I know it will give me positive camber and look spastic. As soon as the car is engineered and inspected they will go back to xt130 arms, unfortunately seemingly just changing rims is enough to go over the limit and transport seem to feel they make the roads safer by making cars more dangerous :P

Anyway anyone who can give me a definite answer will earn massive E-Kharma.

Cheers

Mark

Members dont see this ad

hmm... how long before you get defected against whatever you have on the mod plate.

Any cop will be able to see that 45mm extra track, it will stick out like dog's balls. Then you'd end up swapping LCAs &/or rims all the time as you trot down to the testing station every month.

Get rims that fit with stock LCAs, get it plated then fit the Corona LCAs. You'll be 10-20mm over, which no-one will argue about.

I don't need less camber that isn't the problem, and I can adjust some out on the strut top anyway. Plus I need to get the ride height change engineered as well.

I agree changing the control arms is the last thing i want to do. However My other option is changing wheels, as I already said anything with high enough offset will hit the coilovers or the front of the rx7 calipers, so now I'm finding these wheels and changing my struts and my brakes to make it all work. Oh and now that I'm back to stock brakes I have to change the master cylinder cos stock ke70 brakes (which I don't have anyway so I'd have to find some and struts to run them on) are to tiny to work with a pajero 15/16" master cylinder. Once i get to that point I might as well get standard rear springs and standard seats and not even bother with getting the car engineered, just go to the transport inspection and tell them its stock. Then i have the choice of driving a stock ae71 with fwd rims on it YAY or rebuilding the entire car back to what it is now and then getting defected again. And I can tell you I would rather be changing control arms everytime i go for an inspection than changing the entire acr to stock and back LOL

So yes its the last thing I want to and I understand its less than ideal to do it then change it back afterwards, however if I want to get the wheels and the brakes and the suspension mod plated I am going to have to do it.

Also I really think I had better take a picture, this track increase doesn't stick out AT ALL. Like its actually got me confused cos the wheels are WAY inside the gaurds! Also I'm from TAS where we only have one cop who defects people. Seriously I drove the car as it is for 2 years (and half the time it was multi coloured with rust holes before it got painted and never had a problem) and got pulled over and never had any problems but this one motor cycle cop defects everyone he pulls up, he got my flat mate and another of my mates TWICE, the second time he defected a standard ve commodore for being too low cos it was full of people!! The engineer knows the cops badge number off by heart cos every single defected car he gets is from this cop. In fact when I was in there the other day he had the most immaculate mustang in there, nothing wild about it or anything just really neat and stock looking and the engineer told me the same cop defected him and he is going through the same process as me!

Anyway this is all beside the point, trust me I have looked for other options and this is the easiest, cheapest and in fact the exact way my engineer said would be the best way to do it! I will take a pic for all the doubters, seriously as soon as you see it you will start telling me I have measured wrong or the stock measurement I hae must be wrong hahah. Oh and the rims are 15x7 oldschool globe challengers with an offset of I think +8 before anyone starts going on about wanting to run ricer rims. The difference between the stock 32+ offset rims and +8 offset rims is enough to put you over the track increase limit so its not like I'm trying to do anything crazy here in fact I am prepared to bet that half the people on here are running lower offset rims than me!!

So does anyone actually know where I can get a shorter control arm from?

Edited by cerby

Yeah its actually insane, I didn't even think that wheel offset would effect it originally. I've actually just taken those pics I'll have them up in a sec.

These aren't my 15s though cos they are away getting reconditioned, I had to remove the calipers so I could fit these 13s. They have a similar offset though

post-5848-0-20818800-1312523280_thumb.jpg

post-5848-0-78288100-1312523306_thumb.jpg

post-5848-0-12876200-1312523321_thumb.jpg

Edited by cerby

So, take out the spacers, put the stock LCAs in, blow the tyres up to 55psi and try it for engineering. Find the widest set of figures for a stock KE70 to argue with, they do seem to vary a bit and there is also the error margin of +/-10mm or whatever they used. The engineer sounds like he might take a variable view of it all.

Actually, find out where they measure track from, widest part of the tyre? certain height above the ground? bottom of the rim? and check the width of the tyres at different pressures. It must get narrower as you blow them up and remove the bottom bulge, then increase again as you stretch them into a larger cross-section.

I will try that first, at the moment I don't have a stock control arm either. The track measurement is made from the centre of the tire on each side, so unfortunately that won't change it.

The annoying thing is I remember seeing a post on a forum somewhere basically listing the lengths of all the different control arms but I'm stuffed if i can find it.

So I have a lead on a stock arm but I would really like to just find the shortest arm possible and go with that and save the stuffing around.

Have you got camber tops? If so put shorter lca's in it then wind the camber tops in and it would tuck the wheels back in a bit.

ke70's are 300mm stock and i remember a sigma being being around 280mm?

I seem to remember when my mates r31 went for inspection track was only measured from the middle of the wheels and aslong as the tread was inside the guards he got the green light.

sigma arms are WAY longer than ke70 ones, thats why they give like neg 5 camber. the track is measured from the centre of the wheel or tire same thing, I assume your mates car was not more than 25mm more than standard, tread being inside the arch is another issue entirely

Not all, you're thinking of the GH one's or whatever they are the 330mm one people use in corolla's, there is more than one model of sigma and they have different length lca's, as i remember a guy getting some from the wreckers and ending up with heavy positive camber.

Edited by Jono.C