Weber Experts: I Need Help With A Couple Of Problems (Ke30 With 3K)

Hi guys,

I have a 1978 KE30 Corolla with a 3K motor and the big-bore intake manifold and head.

I'm having a couple of problems with a recent Weber 32/36 DGEV conversion I did:

1. After a hard stop, stepping hard on the brakes for example, the car stalls and the engine dies. I have to fire it up again, and usually it's not so easy (feels as if it was choking on fuel). The few times it doesn't stall the idle gets rough and I have to blip the throttle a bit to keep it from stalling. Idle is smooth otherwise, and gradually coming to a halt occurs without issues.

2. Fuel economy tanked. I know Webers are not known for their efficiency, but I can hardly extract 250km out of the tank now. With the old Aisin carb I was able to run for 400 or more km. I have checked the spark plugs and they have a healthy gray/brown color to them.

#2 is not so important to me, but I mention it mainly because I believe both problems could be related. The Weber is new, and I ordered as a kit (RedLine) for 3k/4k engines so I assumed the jets are adequate. Apart from that the car runs great, idle is smooth as I mentioned, there are no flat spots in the powerband and generally it pulls like it should for a 3k. No clouds of black smoke under what either.

I suspect the carb is running a bit too rich, but the plugs tell me a different story. Ideas? Should I change the jets?

Thanks so much!

Members dont see this ad

Mounted back to front?? Mounted the same way as everyone else, or do they only fit one way?

You can get problems under hard braking when the fuel runs away from the jets, although if your float level is too high it might be choking from being too rich.

Stick it on an oxy sensor, it may be jetted too rich for your motor. PM Evan G, he has a lot of experience with sorting Weber jets.That's a pretty small motor for that carb, so it may be set up for a 1600cc or 2L still.

Edited by altezzaclub

Hi guys,

I have a 1978 KE30 Corolla with a 3K motor and the big-bore intake manifold and head.

I'm having a couple of problems with a recent Weber 32/36 DGEV conversion I did:

1. After a hard stop, stepping hard on the brakes for example, the car stalls and the engine dies. I have to fire it up again, and usually it's not so easy (feels as if it was choking on fuel). The few times it doesn't stall the idle gets rough and I have to blip the throttle a bit to keep it from stalling. Idle is smooth otherwise, and gradually coming to a halt occurs without issues.

ive got the same problem with my 28/36 only under full elctrical load and coming to a hard stop from 100kph. it dies till 400rpm then picks up again.

2. Fuel economy tanked. I know Webers are not known for their efficiency, but I can hardly extract 250km out of the tank now. With the old Aisin carb I was able to run for 400 or more km. I have checked the spark plugs and they have a healthy gray/brown color to them.

I'm getting 400km to a tank on a nice balanced tune.

#2 is not so important to me, but I mention it mainly because I believe both problems could be related. The Weber is new, and I ordered as a kit (RedLine) for 3k/4k engines so I assumed the jets are adequate. Apart from that the car runs great, idle is smooth as I mentioned, there are no flat spots in the powerband and generally it pulls like it should for a 3k. No clouds of black smoke under what either.

I suspect the carb is running a bit too rich, but the plugs tell me a different story. Ideas? Should I change the jets?

Thanks so much!

have you tried ajusting the idle mixtures? wind it in till it starts to run rough then back out 1/2 a turn? what fuel you using?

do what me and mr altezza done. buy a o2 gauge and weld a o2 bung in the exhaust and tune it yourself ftw!

Thanks for the replies guys. I just saw today that going downhill also causes the same effect: engine stalls and dies if I don't blip the throttle.

I don't have any info on the jets the kit came with, so I'm in the process of asking the seller about them. You can check it out here:

http://www.redlineweber.com/carb-kits/auto/toyota/

The one I bought is the "K 662" for 3K motors. BTW, the fuel pump is brand new. Got it a few weeks ago. Nothing fancy though, just a standard stock replacement.

This is how it looks. It was the only way it could be fitted to the engine. I'm not so much of an expert with this, so it could very well be backwards, but I don't have a way to turn it to the other side. This photo was taken during the installation process, and after that the intake and head were changed to the big-bore models. So you might see some hoses and cables missing:

19022011059.jpg

19022011058.jpg

Edited by crdiscoverer

Odd, it could be backwards, on my 32/36 the fuel inlet is too the front of the engine and the throttle mech is on the firewall side. But I'm just comparing.

In my experience, Redline nuts suck. They just do. Maybe its just my luck when buying the kits, but now if I'm forced to buy Redline then I always grab a set of nuts (just the champion ones the auto stores down here sell) to replace the ones in the kit. I'v had alot less problems since then.

Choke does turn off after a while. The flaps open correctly when the resistance heats up.

My car is LHD, so the throttle cable comes from the right side (left in the pictures) and the carb's throttle linkage can only be actuated towards that direction. That's basically the main reason why it can't be turned 180 degrees. The old Aisin carb was similar though, fuel from the back, throttle at the front. Maybe it's the norm among LHD 3Ks.

The booster vacuum hose is new, I had to change it because the "new" intake manifold had the opening in another spot. I will check it again but I'm pretty sure we can rule out a vacuum leak. Pretty much everything is new already. The motor just had a re-ring done as well.

I did port the manifold and removed the split at the middle of it.

BTW, now that I see those pics again, Woah! my engine bay was dirty. The car had been sitting around for months at that time.

Edited by crdiscoverer