Petes South African Te71

bluterus

Hi Peoples,

So I've been building my KE70 for AGES and I finally got sick of it. I HATE bodywork so I've scrapped my old KE70 and here I stand.

My all new South African TE71 with Rego just gotta get a roadworthy and change of name then in goes the 4AGE.

dsc01320fx.jpg

dsc01321w.jpg

From the outside she's just your plain old slanty front KE70 except with short bumpers and no black strip between the tailights.

Inside and underneath it all its gets very exciting!!!

How about some CRAZY South African seats!!!

dsc01323pw.jpg

dsc01319vg.jpg

Annnndddddd!!!! A 2T!!!

dsc01325pm.jpg

This thing goes pretty darn good and its only a 3 speed auto! It would easily smash any stock 5 speed 4K as it keeps up with my GF's 2002 2.0L auto Golf.

With a manual box this would actually boogy pretty hard.

The driveline is totally different with 1 piece tailshaft, bigger drum brakes, bigger diff and the steering is recirculating ball. The steering is actually quite heavy and the reason these people sold it as the wife found it hard to steer while she was pregnant. WOO lucky me.

Its like really difficult to turn on the spot compared to a normal Keto. Hoping I can rip all this out and put in my rack and pinion with ease.

Oh Oh and last pictures and the best thing I like about the car I have a factory black dash and no stupid wireless up the top just a din spot for me to put my guages. Anyone wanna buy it? AS IF!!! Talk about RARE

dsc01324wd.jpg

dsc01317pk.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Nice buy Pete, looks like a clean slate and best of luck with it :y:

I recall reading somewhere that theres a bit of mucking around with adapting a steering rack

to a T series crossmember. I'm guessing it would be better just dropping the whole unit and installing an AE71 unit instead. Maybe give Pick a Part in Kilsyth a visit as they had a ae71 csx in there not long ago.

Hey Pete, if you do the 4age conversion, I would be interested in the T motor out of it.

nice project, can't wait to see it at coffee cars and donuts next month ;)

(edit: I should add i have a t-18 i'm wrecking, so if you want a spare steering box to swap that might work better than the one thats in it, let me know)

Edited by TE278U

Hey guys I've still got my original KE70 with the AE71 Xmember, KE70 steering rack, 86 Struts and arms, 71 pedal box and master cylinder. Got everything ready to drop in.

I will need to use the steering shaft and everything from the KE70 as even the shaft from the steering wheel is different as it goes straight to the steering box.

Can't see an issue getting any of it in as the 71 member will bolt straight in and then the rack is bolted to that.

I fully rebuilt the rack with all new rubbers, super pro bushes and tie rod ends. So just need this to pass roadworthy and I'm all sweet to swap in my rack.

Hope it passes cause I don't want to have to spend money fixing this steering just to rip it out. I hate how heavy it is compared to the rack and pinion its like driving an AE82 with no P/S.

I gave the thing a cleanup and it looks really really good.

TE278U you'll be the first to know when the motor comes out and you're only in Croydon and I'm in Bayswater so you don't even have to go far.

I hate how heavy it is compared to the rack and pinion its like driving an AE82 with no P/S.

:blinks:

Have been doing it for years with no problems, does a vehicle that small/light require P/S? :P

Nice ride man, looking forward to seeing the progress of your plans! :y:

P.S - Your 2T would be going to a good home. :wink:

Oh Oh and last pictures and the best thing I like about the car I have a factory black dash and no stupid wireless up the top just a din spot for me to put my guages. Anyone wanna buy it? AS IF!!! Talk about RARE

Not as rare as you might think. The same dash fascia came out in all ADM panelvans as well and they have the din spot too with the Toyota monogram.

Tip for young players, you cannot swap the dash fascia over with an aussie delivered one as its a fair bit different around the cluster, the cluster screen is the wrong shape. I have had 2 lying around for a long time that nobody is interested in as they only fit in a pano or odd import model with a jap style dash. And if you swap to the jap cluster to make it work your wiring wont work. Its a non compatible item. Rarish but not useful to anyone but you, so just emjoy your car for what it is, an obscure overseas model.

What is rare is that the dash has a tacho in it, that style dash in aussie vans usually doesn't have a tacho installed.

T motors are better at high rpm than a 4age once built for performance, they have a superior rod ratio and sound great at revs. The car looks in good nick too so please don't chop it up into a drift shit-tin. I know one other guy who had one of these the same but beige and bought for $200. He did a 4age conversion then drifted it up a gutter within weeks and the car was parted soon after. This car is a lot straighter and Id hate to see it suffer the same ham fisted fate.

FYI South African Corollas should have had the JDM style DX taillights in most cases, yours have been changed to aussie ones. You might be able to find out some history of this car as it would have to be a private import.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

:blinks:

Have been doing it for years with no problems, does a vehicle that small/light require P/S? :P

Nice ride man, looking forward to seeing the progress of your plans! :y:

P.S - Your 2T would be going to a good home. :wink:

It doesn't require power steering no but the steering box that is in it at the moment is a lot heavier than the aussie delivered non power steer rack and pinion setup. This has the weight of the steering box and then two pitman arms and all the other steering components. The aussie just has the rack and pinion so sooo much lighter. In comparison its like putting 215/60/14 on the front of my KE70 from 175/70/13's soo much heavier to turn on the spot.

Not as rare as you might think. The same dash fascia came out in all ADM panelvans as well and they have the din spot too with the Toyota monogram.

Tip for young players, you cannot swap the dash fascia over with an aussie delivered one as its a fair bit different around the cluster, the cluster screen is the wrong shape. I have had 2 lying around for a long time that nobody is interested in as they only fit in a pano or odd import model with a jap style dash. And if you swap to the jap cluster to make it work your wiring wont work. Its a non compatible item. Rarish but not useful to anyone but you, so just emjoy your car for what it is, an obscure overseas model.

What is rare is that the dash has a tacho in it, that style dash in aussie vans usually doesn't have a tacho installed.

T motors are better at high rpm than a 4age once built for performance, they have a superior rod ratio and sound great at revs. The car looks in good nick too so please don't chop it up into a drift shit-tin. I know one other guy who had one of these the same but beige and bought for $200. He did a 4age conversion then drifted it up a gutter within weeks and the car was parted soon after. This car is a lot straighter and Id hate to see it suffer the same ham fisted fate.

FYI South African Corollas should have had the JDM style DX taillights in most cases, yours have been changed to aussie ones. You might be able to find out some history of this car as it would have to be a private import.

This thing will live a very happy life I'm sure. I hate the shitbox drift style machine with different wheels on the back or redrilled 12 slotters. Engine wise would love to do the 2T but as I've already spent thousands on my 4AGE setup I really don't want to sell it off for half the price or less then spend double that building up the 2T.

I look after my cars and am very anal. Only had 4 accidents in my life 2 very minor and only damaged some steering or a dint the size of a 10 cent coin. another I wrote off a datsun not my fault when someone pulled out in front of me. One which was my fault in my XR8 and had to replace the whole tub which taught me the lesson of taking corners slower unless you know the road.

I don't really like drifting I'm just building it to have something wicked to drive through the hills on a weekend and do the occassional sprint track days not door to door as I don't want to dint it.

Anyways pics from a quick wash and polish. Also I've chucked in a picture of my 4AGE that's going in. Don't know if the blue scheme is going to match now as my KE I was going to put it in had a blue interior.

dsc01326m.jpg

dsc01328c.jpg

dsc01327yh.jpg

dsc01329h.jpg

dsc00944.jpg

Engine looks a little different now with individual coils, CAS and painted turbo manifold. Spent lots of time and money on this notice I even sourced all the RWD water gear as I hate the idea of the dodgy FWD thermo housing being pieced together with all dodgy bits of hose.

The rocker covers took me 14 hours to prep and paint. The lettering is anodised blue. The pulleys if you look closely I've painted the teeth face silver and the internal bits of the gaps of the spokes.

Edited by bluterus

Also don't really know its history any idea how I can find out?

All I know is the person I bought it off moved over from England and was looking for a cheap car for $2000. She wen't to Melbournes cheapest cars and took a car to get inspected the mechanic told her what she was looking at was a POS and that they had a corolla they could sell her which was in good nick.

So she had it for about 2 years and the mechanic shop had it for quite a few at least 8 years. It didn't come with any papers otherwise would have rung the mechanic that was the previous owner. Disappointed it doesn't have the manual.

Oh oh and I think the taillights have been changed as they're very new. But looking at the car it looks like its copped a hit in the ass end. I was going to buy the JDM DX style lights for it.

Edited by bluterus

• 2 weeks later...

Took this in for a RWC yesterday and boy have the Vic laws changed. The cost has gone up from $75 to $135 but next week my mechanic is going to be $165 and he says other places are going to be up to $500!!! This is for a car that already has rego and doesn't need to go for a vic roads inspection.

They now have to have a specific digital camera that Vic roads specify and take photos of every item inspected and email photo evidence to vic roads. You then have 7 days not 14 like we use to to produce the car with all items fixed. They then take more photos of the repairs and send through to vic roads. So looks like no more dodgys can be done. Mine failed with flying colours!

Failed for:

All rubber brake hoses need replacing. I was like sweet I've got some S/S braided lines I can throw on and he's like sorry even though you and I know they're better you can't use them because they aren't ADR approved.

Front brake discs aren't thick enough. This is annoying me cause I can't find the stock disc width for a TE71 do I just go off KE70 thickness 12.7mm even though they're smaller diameter.

Passenger seatback loose. No issue if I can't fix it I got a spare seat.

Both lower ball joints stuffed. Hoping my KE70 LCA's will fit that have new ball joints or I'll just buy more.

Rear brake shoes low.

The one that pissed me off the most though was my brake pedal rubber is too worn. Look at the below photo

dsc01341we.jpg

Yes it is worn slightly in the corner but come on for a 26 year old brake pedal rubber its pretty darn good and my foot doesn't even slip off it when my shoe is wet wearing worn shoes.

Also I took out the floor mats and look at the picture in the floor pad. Stock you think?

dsc01338r.jpg

Oh and just for shits and giggles this guy driving in front of me the other day going mega slow.

dsc01340r.jpg