3T-C Mikuni Solex Twins Major Internal Issues

t18drifts

Your a doodle. .... Good day to you....~tips hat~'n' walks away......

....~walks back in~

I bet if you pull those leads off and hold just close enoough to the plug for the spark to ark between the lead and the plug the engine will pick up a cylinder...

Edited by GJM85

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your a doodle. .... Good day to you....~tips hat~'n' walks away......

....~walks back in~

I bet if you pull those leads off and hold just close enoough to the plug for the spark to ark between the lead and the plug the engine will pick up a cylinder...

QUOTED.

I'm not that bright but i think you are saying that I'm not taking the leads far enough away from the plug to stop the spark plug sparking .......... .

if not I'm confused

GOOD DAY TO YOU SIR ...........:rolls:

Edited by t18drifts

OK, I think what he is saying is re do the compression test in the fashion that he described earlier. He seems to think that one of the carbs is affecting the test, which in my experience is entirely plausible. If you're not sure, take it somewhere to get help.

You could dump a heap of cash to rebuild, but if you whack the same carbs on you could well have the exact same problem. It might take you a little while, but learn to trouble shoot this stuff now. Once learnt, it's never unlearnt :)

I recently blew a head gasket on a 2tg. ran and drove like ass, did a compression test, and got similiar results in 3 and 4 cylinder.

took the head off, and the gasket had blown between 3 and 4. not surprising really...

anywho... put a new gasket on, torqued head yadda yadda, and now she's running like a dream. didn't have to play with carbies or anything.

if you're sticking to a budget, i'd suggest chucking a new headgasket on the pushrod motor and seeing if you can get it going before worrying about finding a 'g' head and putting it on.

(another good option would be to buy a complete running 2t/3tg and drop that in, but expect to pay 1500 for a rebuilt one with some good bits in it.)

I recently blew a head gasket on a 2tg. ran and drove like ass, did a compression test, and got similiar results in 3 and 4 cylinder.

took the head off, and the gasket had blown between 3 and 4. not surprising really...

anywho... put a new gasket on, torqued head yadda yadda, and now she's running like a dream. didn't have to play with carbies or anything.

if you're sticking to a budget, i'd suggest chucking a new headgasket on the pushrod motor and seeing if you can get it going before worrying about finding a 'g' head and putting it on.

(another good option would be to buy a complete running 2t/3tg and drop that in, but expect to pay 1500 for a rebuilt one with some good bits in it.)

ok just thought of somthing i have a fare bit pressure soming from my rocker cover not realy sure on if its ment to or not but it was enough to blow my dipstick out when i for some stupid reason though i needed to block one of 2 becuse one hose goes to the intake mani the over was blocked now its goes to atmo i think its normal for it to have enough pressure to blow lee dipstick out

id love to get my hands on a 2tg 3tgte ect ect i have the cash literaly THE cash I'm not perticuly on a budget.

at the end of the day I'm going to be tracking this car aswell as daily until i can get another car so id prefer the better power for $$$$ option bolt in ect but i love the sound of side drafts I'm addicted to that noise :yes:

i also notice on the carb for 3 and 4 on the chrome filter back plate there is brownish black schorch marks

I second that- burnt inlet valves.

Evan's right however, swapping carbs will take the whole 'carb' question out of it. You could do the same compression test with the carbs swapped & see. In theory they don't make any difference, but you might have loose venturis in the rear carb or the throttle might not be opening fully. If it makes no difference you've already started stripping the head....

Oh- Also, you should hear the valves leaking with the hose in your ear, the carbs will never sound the same. You could listen during the cranking compression test and hear it too.

Edited by altezzaclub