Te31 Locked Diff

sharpshane

I have a 2tc with a t50 and the diff is locked. Makes a lot of noise about 60-65 mph. I do a lot of driving with this car now. Potential damage if I keep it locked? Should I check the gear ratio or get a new diff? I was thinking of putting a different rear end together with disc brakes and maybe something a little wider as well. Add some fender flares. Any thoughts on that? Existing threads?

Members dont see this ad
  • 5 months later...

so I have done a ton of research and have not found a clear answer. I have a terribly whinning diff that is locked. I will swap out with anything that will work. Should i just swap the center or the whole axle? If I do the whole axle, is the 1979-81 mk1 supra with the LSD the best way to go? Will a toyota truck have lsd or something? Just looking for a compatable list so when I'm at the junk yard I can find what is usable and pull it off with minimal custom work. Thanks for all the info!!!

just the centre, pending exactly what diff you have, you might be able to change the whole "nose cone" which includes the centre and the final drive. i don't know enough about TE31s.

if it aint a corolla diff, its not going to bolt in without modifying the mounts for the trailing arms, springs, shocks and tailshaft. as well as ensuring the brake lines work.

TE31 sounds pre ae86, thus no options available without some fairly serious customisation to the differential housing you choose.

Excellent. Essentially, be aware that a T series diff head will bolt straight into your existing housing. You need to bear in mind that the AE86 diff centre came in a small & large axle version, and that you will need a small axle version. Search around and there is plenty of info about that on the net. You may need to have your axles shaved slightly.

You can't simply bolt in a whole AE86 disc brake rear (for example) as they are wider than your existing housing and have trailing arm mounts instead of leaf spring mounts.

Most TE3s had S series diffs. So did some of the TE7s. Does the diffhead flange have 8 or 10 bolts ?

Also, measure distance (in millimeters :P) between middle of rear driveshaft flanges and middle of diffheadflanges

and we can tell you what diff series you got.

Ahh, in that case the T series LSD won't bolt in, it's a 10 bolt 6.7 inch compared to your 8 bolt 6.38 inch.

If you want to go LSD you will have to convert a T series axle to suit, which may mean narrowing the housing and relocating the spring hanger mounts.

S series LSD's are super rare. There was a guy in Australia who had a genuine TRD S series centre for sale a while back. Not sure if it ever sold.