Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Te31 Locked Diff

Featured Replies

I have a 2tc with a t50 and the diff is locked. Makes a lot of noise about 60-65 mph. I do a lot of driving with this car now. Potential damage if I keep it locked? Should I check the gear ratio or get a new diff? I was thinking of putting a different rear end together with disc brakes and maybe something a little wider as well. Add some fender flares. Any thoughts on that? Existing threads?

What sorta noises is it making? Whining, Clunking etc?

  • Author

What sorta noises is it making? Whining, Clunking etc?

 

 

Constant whine when accelerating, stops when I'm off the gas. It's a little better now that i changed the diff oil but still noisy. Also the gear box seams to be whiny as well same thing at accel.

  • 5 months later...
  • Author

so I have done a ton of research and have not found a clear answer. I have a terribly whinning diff that is locked. I will swap out with anything that will work. Should i just swap the center or the whole axle? If I do the whole axle, is the 1979-81 mk1 supra with the LSD the best way to go? Will a toyota truck have lsd or something? Just looking for a compatable list so when I'm at the junk yard I can find what is usable and pull it off with minimal custom work. Thanks for all the info!!!

just the centre, pending exactly what diff you have, you might be able to change the whole "nose cone" which includes the centre and the final drive. i don't know enough about TE31s.

 

if it aint a corolla diff, its not going to bolt in without modifying the mounts for the trailing arms, springs, shocks and tailshaft. as well as ensuring the brake lines work.

 

TE31 sounds pre ae86, thus no options available without some fairly serious customisation to the differential housing you choose.

  • Author

I found a 1979 hatchback with a t50 trans at a u pull it. So I pulled the 3rd member out of that. Looks good, no wear or metal shavings. The hardest part was getting the drums off. Well now ill have a ooen diff and look into a lsd swap.

Excellent. Essentially, be aware that a T series diff head will bolt straight into your existing housing. You need to bear in mind that the AE86 diff centre came in a small & large axle version, and that you will need a small axle version. Search around and there is plenty of info about that on the net. You may need to have your axles shaved slightly.

 

You can't simply bolt in a whole AE86 disc brake rear (for example) as they are wider than your existing housing and have trailing arm mounts instead of leaf spring mounts.

Most TE3s had S series diffs. So did some of the TE7s. Does the diffhead flange have 8 or 10 bolts ?

 

Also, measure distance (in millimeters :P) between middle of rear driveshaft flanges and middle of diffheadflanges

 

and we can tell you what diff series you got.

  • Author

its a S series, that's what the plate on the car said that i pulled it off of. 8 bolts. should bolt right in for now.

sounds like youre all set then :D . Could be a good idea to do a good flush of the housig before instaling new one

Ahh, in that case the T series LSD won't bolt in, it's a 10 bolt 6.7 inch compared to your 8 bolt 6.38 inch.

 

If you want to go LSD you will have to convert a T series axle to suit, which may mean narrowing the housing and relocating the spring hanger mounts.

 

S series LSD's are super rare. There was a guy in Australia who had a genuine TRD S series centre for sale a while back. Not sure if it ever sold.

  • Author

WOW! i think i stick with what i got until i need something if i get more HP. pics will follow after install

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.