Is A Ke30 Corolla With An Sr20 Illegal? Nsw

haydenb123

Use a 4K or 5K, still not legal probably, but it flies under the radar as far as I can see, they all look the same. Sell the SR & use the money for a 4K and a K50 gearbox.

Just get it all running and sort the body and suspension, brakes etc & when you're happy with all that then wind the K motor up with a cam & carb & exhaust. They are dead simple, easy to work on and you can do your own porting and headwork.

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/42407-the-girls-ke70/

By the time you're off your Ps you'll know enough to fit something else & make a good job of it, the usual 4AGE or SR

Members dont see this ad

Yeah, there are a lot of things that can be done to improve a k motor without making it obvious. Compression, bigger bore, porting, mild cam, lightened flywheel can all be done and you would be stiff to be caught with any of them. If you look hard enough there is even a factory twin carb set up which you should get away with. My insurance company didnt care less about the factory twins when I was on my P's.

And if I was going to get a K engine, I'd go the 5k every time. The torque is so much better.

On the legality side, you can make almost anything legal, all it costs is time and lots of money (lots of it). I'd steer clear of something like an SR20 for your first conversion. Firstly you won't be able to drive it until you are off your Ps and secondly it'll be a bastard of a job and could put you off cars. I'd suggest start simple, build up your skills and get familiar with Corollas, then go for it (if you wanna take the leap and have some mechanical experience and people to help out, feel free to jump in though).

The other question you have to ask is "why is someone getting rid of a partially complete project car?". Sometimes people finish projects because they have realised it's cost too much, they have got something better or it could be that they've hit a big roadblock (discovered something unrepairable on the car/engine etc).

Before you start a project, take a step back and think about exactly what you are looking to get out of it: experience, a show car, drift car, race car, drag car, street/daily car etc. All of those different projects will have different approaches etc. If you were just building a daily I'd say an SR KE would be a little silly (especially if you've never owned a turbo in a lightweight car). If you are looking at building it as a dedicate race/track car, talk to some of the other SR KE owners, read their build threads and get a sense of whether it's right for what you are after.

didnt refresh before i posted. you beat me to it.

i totally agree with everything you have said. i was only doing the sr because it came with it, but ive done some researching and it looks a big job. id definitely benefit starting off simple.

The guy said he ran out of money and couldnt afford the gearbox and the rest of it. Fair enough. ill check it out before i buy it but. its all primed up and he said he cut all the rust out first.

i have thought about what i want to do with it and i don't want much power at all. the plan is just to have a bit of fun, bringing an old crappy pile of metal back life, and being proud of my work when its complete. i plan to drive it around for a couple of months then sell it. maybe even make a profit. (but don't need to, just want the experience to decide if i really want to get into it.)

thanks mate definitely gonna start with a small simple motor. ill be having a go at spraying it aswell.

You definately take a huge risk picking up someone elses conversion,

Generally they are done in someones backyard,

as oppose to someone who sent it to a shop and having it done, knowing the complications of any conversion,

who knows the car your looking at might be that one done properly, but if it does not have a box, I doubt this

You definately take a huge risk picking up someone elses conversion,

Generally they are done in someones backyard,

as oppose to someone who sent it to a shop and having it done, knowing the complications of any conversion,

who knows the car your looking at might be that one done properly, but if it does not have a box, I doubt this

oops i forget to mention the conversion hasnt been done yet. he said he has the motor and has the brackets. it just needs a gearbox and to be dropped in. But i think I'm gonna stick with the 4k. sounds much easier for my first restoration/conversion.

get a decent 4k for 100ish and gbox around another 100-150

wow that a lot cheaper than i was expecting. just gotta find one :hmm: