Shell Optimax Extreme

Corolla_Kid

I don't know about you interstaters, but here in Melb I havent been able to buy BP Ultimate or BP (the one with the orange handle) for weeks. They have the tags on the handles saying the product is unavailable due to shortages.

So its BP unleaded for me (92 octane)?? Lucky i only put 20L in today because it pings big time.

If I still can't get BP Ultimate in a few days, i will have to change brands OR, hunt around for a servo that has Ultimate.

Has Shell released what the expected Sale Price of the fuel is?

The reason for no Ultimate is due to the new BP 100 octane Ultimate, have been told that the BP 98 Ultimate is no more. I will check the BP web site to see what I can find.

Can not find nothing on it :)

Members dont see this ad
On a side note is it possible to get avgas easily?

Depends on who you know. :)

It's is also very illegal to run in your car. Big EPA no no. Big fines if caught. How will they tell? I hear you ask. AvGas has a very unique smell and every time I smell it, I know instantly what it is. So does any half switched on Plod.

It's also not cheap.

BP racing 100 or whatever they call it now is effectively 100LL Avgas, and I understand it to be around $50 for 20 litres. Could be wrong though. And you need to be able to produce a racing license to be able to buy it.

Stick to ultimate.

Edited by Redwarf

you can buy drums of toluene from any fuel distributor. about 40 bucks for 20 litres. mix it 1:7 with fuel being the majority of the mix. excellent for boosting octane. wear heavy gloves and a respirator, go to a welding shop and buy them, they're cheap enough, this stuff is instant cancer

Last time i was at Calder Raceway/Dragstrip, there were fuel bowsers there that were labelled Premium and AVGAS. Not sure if they are still operational though. $1.50L for AVGAS and $1.10 for Premium.............keeping in mind that was about 14 months ago.

I know a few blokes who race HQ's. The website states they use Commercial fuel. I have seen the 10L drums that they buy, and they are marked with something like Blended Race Fuel or High Octane. can't remember exactly, but it wasnt just labelled BP Ultimate.

I've used BP premium, Optimax and Optimax extreme.

However my fuel ecomony has different effects then stated above.

I find that Optimax extreme is very smooth however it gets only a fraction more in k's the normal Optimax.

BP Ultimate doesn't work well for me, I'm not sure if its just burnt quicker by me being to throttle happy.

My car hasn't had a tune for a long time normally I am able to crack 700k's per tank using Optimax / Optimax extreme, using BP Ultimate, I get around 620ish.

Once i put in normal unleaded .... and OMG never again! I drove far and wide to get that horrible crap out of my car.

Anyhow, unlike some, I do care about the enviroment, and I do nearly about 1000k's a week so I'm using Optimax Extreme.

QUOTE(Corolla_Kid @ Dec 14 2005, 07:21 PM)

On a side note is it possible to get avgas easily?

Depends on who you know.

Yeah.. I used to run my dirt bike (YZ85) on avgas, was a good fuel and I noticed it gave me a fair power boost. I couldn't really smell it that bad though, as it was mixed with 2stroke.. it was a good thing, we weren't allowed to race with it :) . However, my uncle could get hold of it really easily, unsure how though. :blush:

$1.50L for AVGAS

Thats cheap! We were paying $2.20 a litre for it, if I remember correctly!

you can buy drums of toluene from any fuel distributor.

Jamie you're suicidal!!!!

was reading the december2005/january2006 "road ahead" today, article "biofuels boosted" few interesting things to take note of

ethanol has a higher octane rating than petrol, but only about 70 percent of petrols energy content

so to me this means with this new fuel you pay more for the octane rating, and you can increase compression or advance your timing but this is cancelled out by it having a lower energy content.

car-owners also need to be aware that their fuel consumption could rise by about 3 percent or more when using e10

pay more for this new fuel, get less k's

hmmm

does this mean that because we are using more of this E10 fuel to travel the same distance the pollution is not reduced as much as we might like to think.

just thought it was some food for thought