Ke70 Driveline Vibrations

Tomas_90

Been noticing that when driving normally in gear at some RPM's, mostly between 60-100 km/h (4th gear) it's like something is vibrating and you can feel it in the entire car. When i press the clutch or have it in neutral and just let the car roll the vibrating disappears. You don't notice it while standing still.

I'm thinking either clutch, driveshaft or rear axle?

Members dont see this ad

If you push the clutch in and it stops vibrating its something RPM related not road speed, So engine or gearbox. Most likely.

Does it do when you have selected 3rd between 60 and 100 or when you select 5th or only 4th ? If its only 4th gear there maybe a bearing issue inside the gearbox.

Any noises as you let the clutch out? I've just had a new UJ fitted to the Pintara driveshaft, it groaned as it took up power from standstill and had a vibration a speed. Lie under it and see if you can move the driveshaft at the diff- a mm or two is a lot of slack.

That's about the only thing that wears out, everything else comes loose- gearbox mounts, clutch components, suspension arms, wheels..

Was it vibrating before the wheel balance??

Yes it was the same before they were balanced. Altho the driveshaft may infact be slacking a bit, not sure as i haven't checked it properly yet. So that alone could be a cause? Wouldn't that just follow along with everything else when its even load on it at roadspeed?

Edited by Tomas_90

It does run at diff speed, not g'box speed, so you're right that it continues to spin fast when you push the clutch in. However I think the orientation of the UJ in its needle bearings will be different between drive and over-run.

Give it a good shake or disconnect it and see what it feels like. No chance you've run over something recentlyand bent it ?

This sounds very much like the issue I had with my KE55 at one point. When I was going at lower speeds/accelerating there was a huge shudder (felt like someone was behind my seat shaking it), but once I got to a higher speed and was just cruising/rolling it was fine. I drove like this for a while until one day it got really bad then I heard a bang and things just didn't feel right.... Immediately I pulled over to the side of the road and then I realised the bolts connecting the tailshaft to the diff had all come out and it was dragging on the ground; one guess is that when I'd done the 7k conversion a couple of weeks before the bolts hand't been tightened, the other was that the sheer power from going from the 4k to the 7k was more than the stock bolts could handle.

I'd suggest checking that these bolts are nice and tight. I'd also check at the mount in the middle of the drive shaft has the bolts in nice and tight.... I also had one of these fall out (that's another story).