Irs Into Ke35

sykwrd

Hi all,

ive just picked up another ke35, after owning a few in the past, and wanna fix it up to a nice street machine to pass down to my son.

I'm wanting to put IRS in the back of it, a friend of mine sujested an s14 rear subframe as he had seen one put in a ke70 before but had trouble with wheels.

Has anyone attempted this before? Does anyone know of a sub frame around the same size if not slightly shorter than the factor ke diff, which is 1380mm long.

Now please no "why are u doing that its a complete waste of time bla bla bla", this is what i want to do, i don't like going with the norm and doing things like everyone else.

I have a friend of mine who is a very good engineer so thats no problem i just need to find one thats gonna suit, prefereably off something common so its nice and easy to get aftermarket parts for it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Graeme

Members dont see this ad

gday mate,

i think your decision will be based on:

-RWD IRS (obviosly)

-small...ish

-common

-simple

not very common...in aus at least.

how about a suzuki cappucino?

perhaps a bit too small...and not common.

or an FC rx7?

have to check the wheel track here...

BMW e30?

probably too big like s13.

Ive been under a friend of mines fd rx7 and thats just far to complicated under there, but i didnt think of an fc, because i want something i can do front and rear, say if i get a fc rear end i want to try fit a fc front subframe with suspension and steering and everything also, and run power steering so that its all the same, and not galant this and rx7 and primera that and so on and so forth.

Might get hold of one of the boys and measure the subframe from his fc.

Becasue the other problem is it needs to handle a bit of power, tossing up between a 4agte (which has been done to mucch) 13bt (also done alot) or sr20det, which I'm kinda leaning towards at the mo

i believe the FD has one of the most sohpisticated IRS setups going around.

something to do with the camber change, it keeps the same amount of camber through its whole travel? something like that. very coo, but yeah not for a conversion.

what about the datsun 1600s?

some of them are IRS, and pretty small. i belive its a fairly primitive IRS setup.

All the Datsun 1600 saloons were IRS, a very similar setup to the BMWs. They don't keep camber at all and dance down a rally road. However they do have better traction than a beam rear end. The 180B replacements came out with IRS and beam rear ends.

Are you sure you wouldn't settle for a 5-link, like the KE70. .. or if you could find an old Alfa Gulia at the wreckers, they were pretty skinny.

hey there, I'm pretty sure this has been done before to a ke26 or ke38 wagon. It is in one of my 1300 car magazines, pretty sure it was a fast fours or zoom magazine. The car in question was bright yellow, and the rear end was IRS out of the very first supra's i believe, which were only a celica with a wide bodykit and 5m engine i think. From what i can remember was that the car was from NZ and that he had it working quite well and was used for track work. Does anybody else know of this car??? Hope it helps anyway cheers dylan

Has anyone attempted this before? Does anyone know of a sub frame around the same size if not slightly shorter than the factor ke diff, which is 1380mm long.

Now please no "why are u doing that its a complete waste of time bla bla bla", this is what i want to do, i don't like going with the norm and doing things like everyone else.

I have a friend of mine who is a very good engineer so thats no problem i just need to find one thats gonna suit, prefereably off something common so its nice and easy to get aftermarket parts for it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Graeme

I have a datsun 1600 too. As altezzaclub said they are pretty average rear ends and now it's fj20t powered I'm seriously considering going back to a watts link 5 link solid axle rear end.

You'll struggle to find any rear end that will be the right width or even close to bolting in. I looked at the Alfa de-dion style rear end but they wanted more than what my KE-11 was worth and was going to be a massive headache to fit.

Best way would be to cut and shut the subframe and have the half shafts remade the right length(fairly expensive)

Anything can be done with the right amount of cash, persistence and ingenuity. Good luck it's good to see someone thinking outside the square.

Edited by kickn5k

hey there, I'm pretty sure this has been done before to a ke26 or ke38 wagon. It is in one of my 1300 car magazines, pretty sure it was a fast fours or zoom magazine. The car in question was bright yellow, and the rear end was IRS out of the very first supra's i believe, which were only a celica with a wide bodykit and 5m engine i think. From what i can remember was that the car was from NZ and that he had it working quite well and was used for track work. Does anybody else know of this car??? Hope it helps anyway cheers dylan

ke26. It was zoom. And if you have a good dig about on club-k.co.nz you'll find it there.

My question is, why ?

The only benefit i can see is the decrease of unsprung weight and the "Yay i've got independent suspension under the backend."

I could be wrong but i think you'll be throwing more money at it then just a simple diff upgrade.

My thoughts is of that if you want to throw some money around, convert a hilux diff to a five link.

Yea talking to my engineer last night, looks like were going away from the irs now, because we have decided to mini tub it which is gonna mean its gonna have to be even smaller, so were gonna go hilux get it shortened nice and short and mini tub and 4 link it, like it has been said its going to be a big and expensive process with the irs when its nice and easy to 4 link it and i can get hilux diffs dirt cheap.

Cheers for the help though guys