Rians Ke70

rian

Yeah bigport and smallport should both use the same 1-wire 02 sensor, same part number according to Bosch.

I haven't got the engine light hooked up but I'll do that tomorrow. That's probably the easiest way to find out what's going on.

I've had a few more goes at getting the engine running properly but no luck, I've discovered that the engine is not hunting when the TPS is disconnected, but it's still idling very very high. Sounds like 3000+ rpm (i'll hook up the tacho tomorrow). The engine smells pretty bad of fuel as well. I'm going to check for air leaks around the manifold and throttle body tomorrow.

Edited by rian

Members dont see this ad

^Thanks for the input Stuart, I have a feeling it's a few issues that are causing the high idle problem.

Today I discovered that the intake gasket was missing a big chunk (yes I had bought all new gaskets for this engine but wasn't planning on replacing them until I knew the engine was running and I wouldn't be constantly pulling off the manifolds etc) and was causing an air leak. I also discovered the timing was out, and I figured out how the idle up/cold start valve works and how to remove it. So I think all these things were contributing to the high idle, plus not having any coolant for the coolant sensor to read the temperature of.

So most of these issues have been sorted: the cooling system is mostly plumbed up, the gaskets are being replaced and I'm going to borrow a timing light next time I come down so I can set the timing.

The other thing I did today was install a water temp sensor, I'm really happy with it. Here's how I did it (excuse the shitty camera phone pictures, my camera is in Brisbane):

Removed this bung from the AE82 4AGE external thermostat housing (AE82 4AC external thermostat housings have a TVS sensor here which you can also remove if you're using it in a 4AGE swap):

post-9612-0-75161600-1344158581_thumb.jpg

Replace it with a 16x1.5 to 1/8 npt -27 thread adapter, I cut the adapter down a bit because it was too long:

post-9612-0-58997000-1344158681_thumb.jpg

post-9612-0-78502600-1344158703_thumb.jpg

Then use some thread sealant and put the water temp sensor into the thread adapter, then use more thread sealant and put the thread adapter into the external thermostat housing:

post-9612-0-02708600-1344158866_thumb.jpg

So I'm going back to Brisbane in about an hour, next time I come down here I should have this engine running smoothly.

Edited by rian

Not at all. I now have 4 tailshafts lol, the T series I bought ages ago, the auto KE70 tailshaft that was originally in the car, the manual KE70 tailshaft you gave me and now this new AE71 tailshaft. But this one looks right, 22 spline yoke at one end, what looks to be a Borgy flange at the other, I didn't measure the length or anything but I'm pretty sure it is an AE71 tailshaft.

Pretty keen to actually be able to drive my car!

• 2 weeks later...

So the tailshaft I bought recently was definitely a T50 to Borgwarner tailshaft, so I went to fit it up to the car but it was about an inch too short... wtf?? I noticed later that it had actually been shortened for some ʞ©$ɟing retarded reason.

But luckily I have a million other incorrect tailshafts lying around and was able to make one useable tailshaft out of a KE70 rear half and an AE71 front half, but now it won't be balanced... :bash:. I put the tailshaft in anyway because I'm sick of looking at them.

And I also fitted up a T18 speedo drive, made a throttle body gasket, replaced the manifold and TVIS gaskets and finished off the water system, though I still haven't got the thermofan mounted to the radiator. The engine is running a lot smoother now, still idles a bit high but that is probably just the cold start system. So basically this car would drive if I put some fluid in the clutch system. Next time maybe...

Edited by rian

Nope, my entire workbench is now full of useless tailshafts...

At least I've learned something from it all. I shall get this new tailshaft balanced and I'll never have to think about it again. Hopefully.

Edited by rian