Project Ke70

zeph_KE70

Members dont see this ad

lookin' good!

What sort of mods are you going to start with?? Engine or suspension?? Go faster or handle better...

Cheers!

don't really know yet, probably handling, don't want any wild mods that would keep the rozzers on my back, any reccomendations? :hmm:

don't want any wild mods that would keep the rozzers on my back, any reccomendations?

Corona lower control arms will just bolt in and widen the front track giving a touch of negative camber to give better front grip. A Celica rear sway bar is thicker, bolts straight in and cuts out some of the understeer. Both from a wrecker so cheap to do.

Have the suspension tested at a shock shop and get a readout of how good the shocks are. If you need new shocks start to research which ones are slightly stiffer and either buy new shorter springs or cut a coil off yours. If I was doing it I'd grab a grinder and take a half a coil off the front and one coil off the rear and run it like that for a month. That's not much lower, but it will tell you how much stiffer it gets from a small lowering. You don't want to end up with a low car that kills your kidneys and your GF hates.

We have one coil off the front and one&1/2 off the rears, which makes it 610mm from ground to wheel arch both front and rear. It also makes it quite stiff and people do comment on its ride. It doesn't look particularly low, just not as crazy high as it came out the factory.

Corona lower control arms will just bolt in and widen the front track giving a touch of negative camber to give better front grip. A Celica rear sway bar is thicker, bolts straight in and cuts out some of the understeer. Both from a wrecker so cheap to do.

Have the suspension tested at a shock shop and get a readout of how good the shocks are. If you need new shocks start to research which ones are slightly stiffer and either buy new shorter springs or cut a coil off yours. If I was doing it I'd grab a grinder and take a half a coil off the front and one coil off the rear and run it like that for a month. That's not much lower, but it will tell you how much stiffer it gets from a small lowering. You don't want to end up with a low car that kills your kidneys and your GF hates.

We have one coil off the front and one&1/2 off the rears, which makes it 610mm from ground to wheel arch both front and rear. It also makes it quite stiff and people do comment on its ride. It doesn't look particularly low, just not as crazy high as it came out the factory.

Cheers for all that, we'll be going to U-pull it soon anyway, so i'll have a look for those parts.

+ I heard by cutting the springs it can be dangerous and not really that safe? should i just invest in getting some King Lowered springs instead?

Nearly done the front! Everythings back together, thought we'd give her a start, first start after so long! atleast 25 hours just on the front, and many more to come! :dance: :)

Video Below

http://youtu.be/56ansS0tXQ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56ansS0tXQ4

Thanks...

:)

Just for peace of mind and to keep it all legal I'd buy lowering springs if you got the cash. ;)

Great job on the painting, I suck at touch-ups!

I'm not a big fan of chrome air filter housings (just personal taste), I'm trying to find an oval filter housing to change mine back to looking stock :P

Edited by 67Rolla-Ken

Just gotback from U-Pull it, about a 20 minute drive.

First time i've ever been there, Heaps of cars, really bad condition, but after a solid 1/2 an hour of looking around, i picked up a....

Bosch GT40R for $9 :)

post-14674-0-88996900-1325570325_thumb.jpg

Also took off a strut brace from a SAAB, and took it too a random ke70 sitting there to see if it would fit, it didnt, but i would've made my own bracket and it would'a looked alright, But, it was $55 and i didnt bring enough, so haha, maybe next time :bash:

+ I heard by cutting the springs it can be dangerous and not really that safe?

If you try and make it 100mm of the ground then probably the springs will not be long enough to stay in their cups at full droop. So if the suspension goes right down over a hole the spring can fall sideways. You would need to check that with any springs you put in there as "non-captive" springs are also illegal. That's why I said-

If I was doing it I'd grab a grinder and take a half a coil off the front and one coil off the rear and run it like that for a month. That's not much lower, but it will tell you how much stiffer it gets from a small lowering.

So you can remove Toyota's engineering for 4adults, one kid and all their luggage and run their springs somewhat lower. Ours looks the normal height for a modern car, its just that the KE70s sat very high from the factory.

Legality is another area altogether, we've never been stopped, but then again we've never been caught doing silly things like drifting. It becomes just another fine to stick on top of whatever they stopped you for.

Keep trawling though the build threads and you will find other things that you can fit from the wreckers. An electronic dizzy would be a good find, or bigger brakes.

If you try and make it 100mm of the ground then probably the springs will not be long enough to stay in their cups at full droop. So if the suspension goes right down over a hole the spring can fall sideways. You would need to check that with any springs you put in there as "non-captive" springs are also illegal. That's why I said-

Which is why you install short stroke shock absorbers. These will limit the amount of suspension droop. Keeping shorter springs captive.

sorry guys but this is all so very wrong. cutting springs IS ILLEGAL buy proper lowering springs, they can be had in all shapes and sizes. being young if your cars lowered the first thing the police check is if the springs are cut....

• Upvote 1

sorry guys but this is all so very wrong. cutting springs IS ILLEGAL buy proper lowering springs, they can be had in all shapes and sizes. being young if your cars lowered the first thing the police check is if the springs are cut....

Cheers for that, i would've never done it anyway, ill do it properly and buy king springs or something :)