Peanut Bait

B.L.Z.BUB

Members dont see this ad

...This is how its running ATM. Would a bung TPS make the timing impossible to get right, its like it is retarded and no advance at all will cure it, the video is it advance as much as possible. With a timing light its like its -20 degrees out :/ I'm 99% positive all timing settings (mechanical) are correct.

Any pointers? Is there anything else that would retard the timing so much? Could it be an igniter problem?

Occasionally when I start it it will run fine, and the timing seems to correct itself. This is what is shitting me, I don't understand what is causing it to fluctuate and run fine one minute, then start it again and it runs like the video. Bung wiring plug maybe?

Crank angle sensor? Or crank angle sensor plug? I've heard of the pins/wires breaking inside the plug.

Edit:

Straight from wikipedia (I've never had to deal with a faulty CAS but it sounds similar to your problem):

"A bad crank position sensor can worsen the way the engine idles, the pistons fire, or the acceleration behavior. If the engine is revved up with a bad or faulty sensor, it may cause misfiring, motor vibration or backfires. Accelerating might be hesitant, and abnormal shaking during engine idle might occur. In the worst case the car may not start."

Also this is Trev's plug repair guide:

http://www.ae86drivi...ge-Dizzy-Wiring

Edited by rian

The supercharged 4ag runs crank angle sensor in the dizzy. The normal 16v 4ag's just run hall effect.

How are you doing the adjustments on the airgap ? I'd have to have a look in the book but i don't think you can use normal feeler gauges due to the magnet and the effect they can have on the sensor.

By eye ;)

I fiddled with them when it wouldnt run the first time, then fiddled again to get it running properly. Both the screws were semi threaded before I touched it so someone has been in there before me. Maybe I should just throw in another dizzy that hasnt been messed with.

Just went and had a chat with the guy, the dizzy looks completely different. I'm gonna take mine down and compare tomorrow.

Mines a 7 rib bigport with this dizzy

4ageredtop.jpg

His looked like this which I'm assuming is the smallport and the dizzys arent interchangeable?

smallport.jpg.