Peanut Bait

B.L.Z.BUB

WTF, cutting it close mate.

Yeah it's a close fit, could probably just undo gearbox mount and lift that up a bit. But it will be an engine out job to do a clutch, no room in tunnel to pull box back far enough as has an extension on the input shaft for spigot bearing. Although I reckon you could have the engine out and do a clutch and back in, in half a day pretty easy.

Anyway, some things are a real pain in the ass the first time round Reed. Like you said next time would take a 1/4 of the time.

Members dont see this ad

Couldnt help a mate move as the missus has really bad morning sickness so I decided to tinker.

Managed to press the ball joint and LCA bushes without the correct tools :y:

20121006_1206071.jpg

20121006_1249281.jpg

20121006_1333441.jpg

Tried to install the RCA's but they make the LCA hit the hub/rotor, don't know if I can rectify that. Already had to flatten the end of the LCA by about 5mm just to get the rotor to turn. I'm guessing this is why everyone runs XT130 LCA's?

20121006_1404061.jpg

Edited by B.L.Z.BUB

So I went back out even though the sun is a killer, jacked the front LCA up to see what the geometry was like.

The LCA doesnt seem to be too bad. Though I really messed up with welding the sleeves on.

20121006_154320.jpg

20121006_154621.jpg

20121006_154335.jpg

20121006_152314.jpg

20121006_154701.jpg

Had to max them to the lowest setting and they are too high, but mind you half the car was still propped up by an axle stand. May need to grind the welds off and lower them.

20121006_154605.jpg

EDIT : So the AE86 arms have a different balljoint location causing the LCA's to foul.

Edited by B.L.Z.BUB

Do the 86 arms sit the ball joint further towards the inside of the car? How much is the LCA hitting the hub/rotor by, Can you trim abit of the LCA back to make it work?

Also height related did you sit the car back on the ground after winding the coilovers down?

Got my (basically) new calipers today. Cheaper than a local rebuild from Cardone. If you can wait for postage I'd highly recommend them.

Kinda sucks that these were the last piece I needed for the front (so I thought), now I've gotta source XT130 steering arms. Hopefully Kellys has one in the yard.

20121010_1758161.jpg

Off to the garage to pull my 86 arms out :y: don't ask, they are already sold.