Defect For Stretch

Millaz88

Ok guys just put 15x9 -10 rims with 195/60 tyres on my ke70

Got defected 2 day I had them on

The defect says wheels/tyres must not protuding body work

I have flares here I was planing to put on should have been more speedy doing it I agree

Now I want to know if they were covered by the flares is that legal

I know ur not supposed to go over like 2" the width and all that but are stretchies legal in the sate of Vic like us there any real road law saying that it's illegal

Thanks guys

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's frowned apon by police but I haven't seen any writen law

Also I know the size of the rim is to big for the car but all I got defected for is wheels/tyres past guards so if I had the flares on there I wouldn't have got done????

Edited by Millaz88

They can defect you everyday of the year for running 195/50 on a R15 x 9JJ FOR

increased track

and tyres not suiting the rim , think the smallest is 225 on a 9jj , just confirm at you local tyre store.

Edit : easiest thing to defect your was for wheels being out the gaurds but pretty sure they would of got you for tyre not suiting rim.

Edited by Spencer

Stretch is illegal, If they only pinged you for poke consider yourself lucky.

You are fitting a tyre to a rim in a way that it is not designed.

Stolen from Nissan Silvia

In short, tyre stretching will result in your vehicle non-compliant with the required safety standards. That is to say, no, tyre stretching is not legal.

Why?

Here's the reasoning according to VicRoads engineers, and Victoria Police vehicle safety instructors.

Tyres are designed to have certain characteristics, and behave in a certain way, when fitted to the type of vehicle they are designed for. One of the characteristics that is incorporated in a tyre design is side-wall flex. The amount of movement in a tyre side-wall can affect things such as cornering, and braking distance. If a tyre is stretched, the sidewall will not have the same properties as it is designed to have. This may adversely affect the handling characteristics of the vehicle and is therefore defective.

In addition, the stretching of a tyre may also alter the tread face by either opening or closing the tread pattern beyond the intended design envelope. This, again, may result in a decrease in handling characteristics.

So, a vehicle fitted with stretched tyres is open to be defected and, of course, an Infringement Notice may be issued to whoever is using the vehicle at the time.

Never thought I'd say this, but I agree with Trev on this one.

Same goes for the "hellaflush" trend of stupidly negative camber to fit the wheels up inside the guards.

Firstly we will go with this picture:

umad.jpg

Might "look" cool, but its impractical and dangerous.

Lets have a closer look:

5281999482_ce48c20d3b_b.jpg

Tread contact patch to driving surface is next to nothing!

Not only a danger to yourself, but other people on the road.

Cmon Trev, where is the love for the guys who just want to fit in?

:hmm:

Still have not found it, if you drive something with a dent in it it means you are a shit driver, if you own a drift car with a dent in it it means you ʞ©$ɟing rock cause you are a hard out bad ass, where the hell is the logic?

Never thought I'd say this, but I agree with Trev on this one.

:dance: It's been a while

:hmm:

Still have not found it, if you drive something with a dent in it it means you are a shit driver, if you own a drift car with a dent in it it means you ʞ©$ɟing rock cause you are a hard out bad ass, where the hell is the logic?

:dance: It's been a while

I'm turning up on Sunday with a car with a lot of dents, I only just bought it so be cool. :wink: