Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Aftermarket Ecu

Featured Replies

Hi all,

 

I’m in the market for an aftermarket ECU (I have an idea (brand) what I want)

and I have had a look at a few of the major brands out there on the internet and most of them read well but I want to hear from you.

 

What are the Good / Bad and Interesting things from your experiences.

(Please do not rubbish brands and go into a little depth as to why it is good or bad and what you would use)

 

Mods please move this under the correct heading if I have placed it in the incorrect place or delete it if there is another thread which I have not come across…… thanks

I have worked with a lot of big name ecu's (link, apexi, motec, haltech, adaptronic, greddy & microtech), If you want a good reliable ecu that is easy to deal with and is not overly expensive then go for the Haltech, if you have a fair bit of money to throw at an ecu then go with a motec.

 

I wouldn't bother with any of the others but that is my opinion.

If you want a good reliable ecu that is easy to deal with and is not overly expensive then go for the Haltech, if you have a fair bit of money to throw at an ecu then go with a motec.

 

I wouldn't bother with any of the others but that is my opinion.

Quoted for truth!!!

 

Best advise I've ever had regarding ecu's is "find a tuner your happy to take your car to, and ask what he wants to tune."

 

Btw with Motech the more you want in features the more you pay. Also I've got a haltech going in both the KE-11 and the datto.

 

Stu.

Something to watch out for while you buy. You will find the brand Microtech come up just as cheap and sometimes cheaper

than it's Haltech counterpart. Be warned that when a Microtech is purchased it is pre-built by the manufacturer to suit a specific motor.

So basically NEVER buy a Microtech second hand unless it is specifically for YOUR motor. You can send the ECU back to Microtech and get them to change it

but for the cost you could just buy a Haltech and be done with it.

 

Another brand you could look into is Wolf 3d v4 and up.

 

I myself would recommend a Haltech because of their simplicity and parts availability. Also they use GM sensors which are in plague proportions.

I run a dinosaur Haltech E6 on my 5k EFI, soon to be supercharged.

 

A question for you. What motor do you want this for?

As stated talk to the person that's going to tune it, no use buying an ECU then going around to people nearby and they have no idea about it, then having to drive hours whenever you need a tune.

 

Hear a lot of people talk about their Adaptronics losing their tune, don't know if its specific tuners that do it wrong or an ECU issue.

 

Link G4 is good stuff, reasonably priced too.

anyone try the megasquirt v3 ecu ?

heard they wer as good if not better then haltech n microtec at the fraction of the cost..

 

:)

  • Author

Great feed back on some of the different brands of ECU’s, I just wanted to hear what some of you are running and the Good / Bad and the Ugly of different ECU’s.

 

The ECU that I am considering is ViPEC Model V44. Has anyone had any experience with these?

Great feed back on some of the different brands of ECU’s, I just wanted to hear what some of you are running and the Good / Bad and the Ugly of different ECU’s.

 

The ECU that I am considering is ViPEC Model V44. Has anyone had any experience with these?

 

Jason on twincam forums uses vipec, maybe shoot him a pm - http://forum.twincam.org.au/index.php?/user/10-jason/

Great feed back on some of the different brands of ECU’s, I just wanted to hear what some of you are running and the Good / Bad and the Ugly of different ECU’s.

 

The ECU that I am considering is ViPEC Model V44. Has anyone had any experience with these?

 

jus had a read of these ecu looks like itll wuld hav a nice price tag.., if u don't mind lemme knw how u go findin a ecu, as I'm in the same boat as u

thanks

  • Author

One of the main reasons I'm going for a Vipec is Ray Hall (from Ray Hall Turbochargers) up here in Cairns is also building a 7AGTE 20V and he is the Vipec dealer. He is will be using a Vipec on his motor and will be tuning mine.

 

Yeah I have seen some of Jason’s work from Twincam

 

Thanks

Edited by _FNQ_rolla_

anyone try the megasquirt v3 ecu ?

heard they wer as good if not better then haltech n microtec at the fraction of the cost..

 

:)

 

I would only go with megasquirt if you have good electronics knowledge. You can get pre built kits but for the price you could

find yourself a Haltech E6X/E8, which are far better ECUs (in my opinion). I just find them easy to understand.

has anyone used adaptronic.., are they any good for the price ?

 

cheers

I would only go with megasquirt if you have good electronics knowledge. You can get pre built kits but for the price you could

find yourself a Haltech E6X/E8, which are far better ECUs (in my opinion). I just find them easy to understand.

 

honestly ive heard very mixed things bout ms and alot of people that get it rite apprently are extremly happy n wuldnt change.... and others say theyve had so many problems theyve had to jus buy a different ecu.. but yeh atm I'm callin tuners around to see what they like to tune best and which have got base maps best suited. so far adaptronic is the favourite

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.