Points Problem

Mr Hardware

Here's a little story for you all.

I know i needed some new points for my ke55 4k-c stocko, so i went down to autobarn at lawnton to get some new ones. the fella says does it have a bosch or denso distributor, I said I don't know. So he comes out to look at the car, takes off the distributor cap, has a look and puts it back on. Bosch sure enough. So i go inside, get the parts, pay, walk out, get in lil champ and she don't start. She cranks just like normal but won't kick over. Plenty of fuel, started first time every time in the 20,000klms i've owned her. WTF. So i take the dizzy cap off and put it back on again and try again, nothing. So i go in, get the guy, tell him it don't start now, and he says, so, big deal. He comes outside, says 'all i did was take the cap off and put it back on again, your problem, ring the racq or something' so i wasn't too impressed to say the least. So some dude came and had a tinker, couldn't find the problem. Then a little later a different autobarn employee was on his lunchbreak and came and had a tinker too, seems everything was working right except no spark to the plugs. So he devises that my points are dead (?) and he puts in the new points i had just bought. Car starts. Weird.

Here's my Q. Could the original fella have 'broken' the points? (there was no physical damage on the points, just a bit of pitting)

Or was it just plain coincidence?

Members dont see this ad
he may have bumped them out of adjustment playing around with the cap. generally "experts" do things like this, then have no idea how to fix things when they break. if he had half a clue what he was looking at, he wouldn't have had to take the cap off at all

too true jamie....if he had of just looked at the distiributor, he would have been able to tell that it wasnt a denso one...afaik the denso ones are smaller.

just like to say, what a dickhead that that guy was. whatever happened to you break it you bought it.

just cause its an old rolla dosent mean that you can just dissregard it or there not worth fixing, if you had been driving a porsche or something i bet he would have changed his tune.

he may have bumped them out of adjustment playing around with the cap. generally "experts" do things like this, then have no idea how to fix things when they break. if he had half a clue what he was looking at, he wouldn't have had to take the cap off at all

Experts :y:

I'd say it was coincidence. Although the old points may have just been at a point where they were still working, and as the cap clipped off or on, moved them slightly to where the pitting wasn't allowing them to work.

You still should have punched him in the face for his attitude :D He is working in a customer service environment, and needs to adjust his attitude, I bet next time you don't go to that particular shop.

seriously dude who cares, you can't prove anything and even if you could, what's it going to get you? nothing. someone fixed your car for free so you've broken even anyway. quit complaining about a spot of bad luck, learn from the experience and get on with the rest of the project

Autobarn

Auto

uleh'ing

tossin

oppsie

butheaded

anialily-retentive

rude

noob-ulets.

thats a big generalisation, not all autobarn stores are like that. the one we got here has a few helpfull people that will bend over backwards for you as well as some, well you listed it. just make sure that you say, no thanks I'm right till you get a good one ask you.

i agree with jamie too, so what its a little bad luck. don't get too excited cause something will happen again soon enough.