Process For Resetting Leaf Springs??????

JDM55

hi guys , well I'm getting closer to finishing my build, how ever money is a real problem now ,

ive spent so much getting to where i am now ,i pretty much got no cash to spare,

a few things i need done and to get but probably the biggest thing on the list atm

is getting the leaf springs reset lower,

ive had several quotes form people and there all around 350 $$$$$$

i don't have 350 $$$$$$

so does any one have a clue on how the shops go about reseting leaf springs?

if i could find out then possibly i could give it a go myself saving 350 which doesnt exsit any way lol

any clues guys???

cheers

Members dont see this ad

Hey mate, my springs are not actually reset. They have had the eyes reversed so that the original arch to the spring is still the same. I wonder if it would be cheaper to have this done than to have the whole spring reset? Then you could just add another leaf to get it stiffer which is easy enough and cheap if not free if you already have a spare set of leaf springs.

Edited by Oh-KE

Hey mate, my springs are not actually reset. They have had the eyes reversed so that the original arch to the spring is still the same. I wonder if it would be cheaper to have this done than to have the whole spring reset? Then you could just add another leaf to get it stiffer which is easy enough and cheap if not free if you already have a spare set of leaf springs.

hmm interesting , ive never realy heard of that before , I'm not sure what the process is for resetting a spring ,but they can set the hieght to what ever you want ,something id like to know how to do ,

with reversed eyes how do you know how much lower its going to be?

If it's a 30/55 you're talking about you can lower it easily by flipping the biggest leaf upside down. Need some basic tools and a decent bench vice, no $!

haha yeah i done that when the car was on the road last , actualy had it like this for 3 years and never had an issue with the reversed leaf, how ever

it has to be done properly casue my engineer needs to see it ,sux casue would have just put the old fliped leafs back in lol

Check out jalopyjournal.com there is a tech article on how to reverse spring eyelets DIY style. A blowtorch, hammer, some chalk and hard yakking should do if for squat.

cheers ill definately look that up , even if i don't end up doing it myself , mite beable to find some one whos done it a few times to help me out,how do you know how much lower its going to sit by doing it this way??? i only want to go about 50 mm maybe 55 something like that any lower and ill have clearance issues ,

something i just thought of then , has any one ever tryed just shortening the rear shackle mounts??? i mean there rather long I'm sure you could easily make a couple of shorter plates with bolts going through,

wonder if that would work ? plus adding a few leafs or one to the front half at least ?

either way i need to find an answer soon ive been puting this off for months now just because of the money side of things ,

who wants to do them for a slab of beer?? hahaha

Shortening the shackles is a daft idea.when the spring compresses the leaf extends, the shackle is designed to take up that growth. Taking 50mm out of them will have very hilarious consequences, although not for you. For us.

Eyelet reversal is easy to calculate final drop. Diameter of bush + top leaf thickness. Simple. Don't ask me what those values are.

I have been told they use a press to reset leafs.

I have not tried it but an old guy told me thats how he used to do it.

Thats how we did mine years ago. Pulled apart the leaf pack. Straightened the main leaf so it was 2" lower and rebuilt it. Only thing was that they curved the wrong way when the weight of the car went on them.