Steering Wheel Help

Rollajones

As this is my first car I really don't know a whole lot about some stuff so:

How do I get my steering wheel off?

How do I fit a boss kit?

What do I do about my horn?

Also what's a good steering wheel to get? Nice look and feel but isnt going to cost a heap!

Thanks guys

Members dont see this ad

As the steering wheel is your primary source of directional control, I suggest you either find a mate who knows, or get someone else to do it.

If you do it wrong, it will be bad. Very. Bad.

Buy something good. Buy a known brand. A lot of the cheapies I've seen can ( and have) bent out of shape in moments of minor peril. In a moment of major peril, you don't want the thing you should be holding onto to giveaway, deform and possibly inflict further injury on you.

Once you have a decent wheel, you just take it from car to car. I have a saas that I bought twenty years ago for about $200 and is still going strong. I also have a leather Sparco wheel that I've used I the last two gravel cars that I hope will last twenty years as well, as it was about $500.

A steering wheel is the thing that directly connects you to your motoring destiny. Buy a decent one.

• Upvote 1

fOIwE.gif what he said

there is a nut behind the badge in the middle of the wheel.

If you don't know get someone to help with the horn, or google it. You 'could' mount a button on the dash for it.

As Redwarf said, get a GOOD wheel. I was lucky and snapped up a ADR approved Autotechnica off eGay for $10 :o

Cheap ones flex and feel like crap to drive with.

Edited by B.L.Z.BUB

I'd trust AJPS. Too many fakes on eBay. I got lucky, its not the best wheel but its still good.

Those AJPS ones are synthetic leather, but should last, and I bet the wheel is strong as too.

Legal diameter plus they will sell you a boss kit too if you need it.

I got my SAAS boss kit off ebay for around 40 new. hasnt failed me yet. But in saying that if i had the cash id buy a better one.

It really is an investment you can take from car to car, maybe not the boss but def the wheel.

when removing the wheel, undo the nut, but don't take it all the way off, leave it on there a good few threads, then you really have to pull on the wheel, wriggling from one side to the other top and bottom, and if its really stuck, hit it off with a dead blow hammer or a nice lump hammer.

You leave the nut on so you don't break your face when it comes off at a million miles an hour

You blokes are spoiling all the fun of learning how to modify a car here...

I remember the first thing I did when I got my first car was buy a SAAS steering wheel for it (was an LJ Torana)

The second thing i did was hit myself in the head with the old one as I reefed it off the column :)

Then I learned to leave the nut on a little bit....

As for sizes I think the one AJPS sells will be fine. You are more likely to get pinged by the police for not having a padded centre on the steering wheel.

This very much depends on the state of your car and the attitude you present when you are talking with the police. Be nice and polite and they are more likely to let something slide through...

The next time i buy a sports steering wheel I'm buying a nardi torino brand new.

I had a nardi classic, brilliant wheel, but got a damn defect for it (no padded centre....)

this is the torino

http://cdn.sulitstatic.com/images/2010/1108/203612571_nardi1.jpg

Which from what i can tell, is pretty much exactly the same as the classic, but has the padded triangle bit.

boss kits are gineric things, there are a few different styles of how the wheel connects, just make sure the one you get fits the wheel you buy (supercheap auto, autobahn, anything that fits an ae86 from an importer etc). just becareful which ones are ADR approved.

Which is why I like my FXGT wheel :D

Padded centre with big Toyota logo in the middle so the police won't look at it twice, but it is still a genuine leather Made-In-Italy Momo wheel with Momo logos and horn button, which looks like a normal Momo wheel when you take the padded centre off, and also comes with a Momo boss that works perfectly with the standard steering column, horn and indicator-cancel :D

njumwmvynmd2.jpg

2.jpg